PDA

View Full Version : 2003 warrior reliability?

bmfgsxr
03-01-2009, 07:23 AM
hello all.. im looking to buy my wife a quad and im looking at a 2003 warrior. from the pictures it looks clean, and supposedly has less than 20 hours on it, although typically i dont trust many people when they state how many hours are on a machine. ive been around quads/bikes for close to 30 years, and im a semi retired road racer so i know what to look for when buying a machine. but my question is how is the reliability of the warriors, specifically the 2003. pro's vs. con's of the machine would help too, and really any relevant information anyone can share.. thanks

keglassg
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
warrior's have always had the reputation of being bullet proof machines. in 87 when they first came out, yamaha had such a great machine that the only thing they changed mechanically in the 17 year life of the warriors was that at some point they added a 6th gear to the trans. some people have had problems with stators on them, but that seems to be a problem mostly on the older machines when they has a ton of hours on them, and its not that big a deal to fix really. the resale has been fairly low on the warriors lately though so i hope its a good price. but as far as reliability goes, none better, and the 03's arent really any different than any of the other years, they never changed them.

bmfgsxr
03-02-2009, 05:43 AM
thanks for the reply man. about 1500 is the price.. what do you think?

keglassg
03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
as long as its not beat up, hell yes, thats a damn good price lol. one way to tell if it really does have low hours on it, look up a pic of one that still has the stock tires on it and compare to whats on the one you are looking at. one thing to note, though im sure you know this, change the oil and filter asap when you get it. warriors tend to run on the dirty side with the 2 valve head and all, the oil just gets dirty quick. but yeah, if the machine's in good shape, plastics arent all beat to hell, id say go for it, otherwise give me his number and i might take a look lol. good luck buddy.

bmfgsxr
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
good stuff man.. thanks again, and ill update this thread when i see how it goes.

jcs003
03-12-2009, 09:39 AM
next to the 400ex the warrior is the most reliable machine out there. i had warrior then banshee, 400ex and a trx250r and my warrior only had minor issues like reverse switch and suck. good luck with your purchase.