PDA

View Full Version : Made my decision...

MtnEX
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, once I figured out my problem was that I just couldn't bring myself to trade my 400EX for it's replacement, it didn't take me too long to figure things out....

I left out Saturday on my way to the other dealers I was actually planning on buying from.

I still had the Outlaw 525, Outlaw 500, Raptor 700R, and KFX450R in mind when I left. But I had also found one KFX400 still brand new. I have to feel that it was probably a dealer transfer (factory repo from another dealership).

Anyways, on the way there I had pretty much made up my mind that.... heck I would probably just go for the KFX400. I figured even though it had been surpassed that I would probably be thrilled with it over my 400EX... especially after some bolt-ons.

When I got there, man I really liked the bike. For the first minute or so I was sure I was just going to go ahead and get it. But after the lime green faded from my eyes I noticed a few things about it. The one that got the best of me was the greasy/oily smudges I saw on the plastics.

When I went in to write up the deal, by the time I waited for the "out the door prices" to be calculated.... well what I had saw started to settle in the pit of my stomach.

It may have been nothing at all to worry about, but I got an offer (OTDP) I couldn't refuse on a KFX450R.

k4f5x0r
03-01-2009, 07:57 AM
welcome to the green team ;) . you wont regret the choice.

also for your sprocket issue. dont lower the front a tooth. wait until you get a pipe and pc3. that really changes it and wakes it up alot. if you want eve more power get an intake. that will bring the bike to right around 48-50 Hp. with a nice amount of torque :D

MtnEX
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm strongly considering lower gearing, but need to ride it a while first. Might get a Rekluse clutch instead.

But I need to pick up skids and nerfs first.

What little can you do without adding a PCIII?

k4f5x0r
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
you cant really do much without a pc3. only part that sucks about the fuel injected bikes... you COULD wait for the pc5. it has a 02 sensor which adjusts the map by itself.

but then again. my friend got a two brothers pipe and juice box. and the juicebox is 2/3 the price of the power commander. the juice box supposedly adjusts itself. and he said he got a great power gain.

so i guess whatever floats your boat. but i say ride it for a while before you decide to drop half a G on a rekcluse :eek:

631kfx400
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
you cant really do much without a pc3. only part that sucks about the fuel injected bikes... you COULD wait for the pc5. it has a 02 sensor which adjusts the map by itself.

but then again. my friend got a two brothers pipe and juice box. and the juicebox is 2/3 the price of the power commander. the juice box supposedly adjusts itself. and he said he got a great power gain.

so i guess whatever floats your boat. but i say ride it for a while before you decide to drop half a G on a rekcluse :eek:
i feel special:blah:

mod440ex
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
congrats man. i have heard of people just running a slipon without running a pc3, but i would hate to have something happen to my bike thats why i did it all at once. it will take you a little while to get used to it over the 400, at least it did for me.

jimmyjames1700
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Well, once I figured out my problem was that I just couldn't bring myself to trade my 400EX for it's replacement, it didn't take me too long to figure things out....

I left out Saturday on my way to the other dealers I was actually planning on buying from.

I still had the Outlaw 525, Outlaw 500, Raptor 700R, and KFX450R in mind when I left. But I had also found one KFX400 still brand new. I have to feel that it was probably a dealer transfer (factory repo from another dealership).

Anyways, on the way there I had pretty much made up my mind that.... heck I would probably just go for the KFX400. I figured even though it had been surpassed that I would probably be thrilled with it over my 400EX... especially after some bolt-ons.

When I got there, man I really liked the bike. For the first minute or so I was sure I was just going to go ahead and get it. But after the lime green faded from my eyes I noticed a few things about it. The one that got the best of me was the greasy/oily smudges I saw on the plastics.

When I went in to write up the deal, by the time I waited for the "out the door prices" to be calculated.... well what I had saw started to settle in the pit of my stomach.

It may have been nothing at all to worry about, but I got an offer (OTDP) I couldn't refuse on a KFX450R.

Congrats on the purchase. You'll love it. As far as gearing is concerned, I think it depends on the type of riding you do. I run a lot of tight woods trails and stock gearing works ok for that, much better now that I put some tires on that actually hook up. But, I think I am going to drop a tooth in the back to pick a little top end. Its less drastic than going up a tooth in the front and will add close to 5mph. That's what dirtwheels did to their project KFX last year. Stock motor and intake pulled the gear just fine.

masterp0606
03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mod440ex
congrats man. i have heard of people just running a slipon without running a pc3, but i would hate to have something happen to my bike thats why i did it all at once. it will take you a little while to get used to it over the 400, at least it did for me. [/QUOTE

My buddy got a slip on for his and a 15 tooth sproket with no pc3 and I was stock. He wanted to race me and I beat him everytime he couldn't even catch me on top end. IMHO you should get a pc3 because if you do something to your bike you wont get the most power out of it.

MtnEX
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm going to leave it alone for now, and get a real good feel for how it is stock first.

I want to be sure I feel what it needs and when I change something I want some experience to compare to.

I started too soon on the 400EX.

I have noticed though that it sounds very restricted. I can hear the intake draw, and the exhaust sounds pitiful compared to the Yoshi on my 400EX... lol... But the noise reduction is kind on nice, and considerate of others.

Anyways, is there anything removable inside the stock exhaust to free it up just a little?

Keep in mind though that I don't have a computer and don't want to be risky.

As far as computers go, If I feel I need to mod, I want to hold out and go the "self adjusting" route with that.

I didn't realize this EFI system was that simplistic. But I have a hard time understanding how it adjusts for altitude but can't for other things?

k4f5x0r
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
the fuel injection can read the altitude but not for other thigns such as air flow because it lacks a 02 sensor.. i beleive dynojet is coming out with a pc5. it is very similar ot the pc3 except it has more tunability and A 02 SENSOR! the pc5 has a sensor which from my knowledge adjusts the map by itself when the quad is running. so if i think im right you just plug it in and let the quad run. ride it around and then the map is adjusted for it.

then agian i could be wrong :p

MtnEX
03-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Thats what I would want....

Kind of part of the point of EFI...
To stop guessing and tinkering on tuning...

k4f5x0r
03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
EFI is much easier to tune on though. even i am braindead when it comes to that stuff. and i tuned the map on my quad from a curtis sparks map and adjusted it for the dasa.. wasnt too hard at all really :)

jimmyjames1700
03-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
the fuel injection can read the altitude but not for other thigns such as air flow because it lacks a 02 sensor.. i beleive dynojet is coming out with a pc5. it is very similar ot the pc3 except it has more tunability and A 02 SENSOR! the pc5 has a sensor which from my knowledge adjusts the map by itself when the quad is running. so if i think im right you just plug it in and let the quad run. ride it around and then the map is adjusted for it.

then agian i could be wrong :p

The PCV is available for the KFX but I since the KFX doesn't have a factory bung in the headpipe for a 02 sensor, I don't think a 02 sensor for the PCV will be available from Dynojet. That's not to say that you couldn't modify your head pipe with a automotive type bung and 02 sensor though and connect it to the PCV.

CarFanatic
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
the stock intake is super restrictive. Get a fuel atv intake or fuel customs intake. They both are smiler and fix the intake issue.