PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Hard Start for my ER

JETMX99
02-28-2009, 10:45 PM
I have a 450ER with a hard start problem.
If I have a full ultimate charge, then I can start her.
If she is down on charge any at all, then she has a hard time.
I have a hard time keeping full charge and I have lost a lot of precious time on the track because of this.

Does anyone have any advice as to maybe a better battery or adding an additional small one hooked straight to the starter or what?

ratrod814
03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
my 450 is doing the samething i dont know if it is just cuz its cold around here 20F.. i dont know its really p!ssin me of

deathman53
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
my friends has a similar problem. I think he got rid of it, already. Others who had a problem with the electric starter got a kick starter put on it and forget the electric starter. You can put a kicker on the 06-current er's. There is a thread with all the parts you need to do this. It costs something like $400 and you can do it yourself. It costs more to remove the electric starter and wiring, so many just leave it in place. They say it starts easier and faster with the kicker also.

stoopidbot
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Watch this, This works for me everytime.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/?action=view&current=DSCF3821.flv

32450r
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
yeah u definately need to just install a kicker on that thing everybody i know that has an ER is always pushing it around charging the battery, etc the starter just dont turn it over fast enough. its a joke i would never own one, its not that hard to kick it anyways. but thats just my 2 cents

stoopidbot
03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 32450r
yeah u definately need to just install a kicker on that thing everybody i know that has an ER is always pushing it around charging the battery, etc the starter just dont turn it over fast enough. its a joke i would never own one, its not that hard to kick it anyways. but thats just my 2 cents I have never changed or charged my battery nor have I messed with the starter. Look at the video above. If people would take a moment to learn their bikes they would not have an issue.

You're right, it's not hard to kick. But it's even easier to push the button.

d3ktrix
03-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Have you checked ur intake valve clearances?
Tight valves will make for hard starting, might be why it only works when its fully charged.
Makes the already finicky starting ERs even worse.

JETMX99
03-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Its not an issue of whether or not I know my quad, or the valves are adjusted correctly, or anything like that.
Its a matter of the Battery not having enough or keeping enough power to spin it over fast enough to start it.
I have a very built motor so it takes a little more than most.
Installing a kicker is definately an option, but other than doing that is what Im looking for.
Is there anyone using a different battery or something that can give it a little more cranking amps?

03-10-2009, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stoopidbot
Watch this, This works for me everytimmin
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/?action=viewmin&current=DSCF3821.flv [/QUOTgE]

mine started cold like that every time...it wasn't so simple when hot...even using that method...i ended happier on a 400ex...

stoopidbot
03-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Mine starts just as easy when it's hot too.

coryatver
03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
make sure the valves are adjusted perfect. And the auto decompression. And it has to be in neutral the clutch engages when it is in gear even when pulled in.

Also put in a 48 pilot with air screw 2.5 turns out, adjustable needle 3rd clip from top, 175 main jet for full exhuast with air box lid removed.

Mine starts up perfect. I started it a couple weeks ago it was 10 degrees outside and it was sitting for 2 months. Also I have started it after running it Hard xc racing in 90 degree heat and stalling it and it fires right back up. I put on a kick starter but I never use it.

rt20ps
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree with ^^^^^. When properly jetted, valve clearances adjusted, and decompression set, the stock battery will start it fine. If your compression is high due to an aftermarket piston, the decompression must be set with a compression gauge rather than feeler gauges.