PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings....?

Jasfarrar
02-28-2009, 05:02 PM
On a 08 YFZ450 SE....The axle on it is loose, and if you sit it on a jack stand you can wiggle it around. Does this sound like the bearings are going bad on the axle....Any ideas...? If so, is it hard to change them.....?

billyboy93
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
yea the bearings r gone saw they same on my friends 06 yfz450

Dathon Lawler
03-01-2009, 09:33 AM
don't know much about the yfz rear bearings. but any slack in any rearend is not good. if you keep riding it. you will demolish the housing and i think there is a sleeve in there as well that will get trashed. if you already trashed the housing get an aftermarket one. "double bearing" if you can. it takes a good hold of the axle. oh yeah, the axle.....if you keep riding you can trash the axle as well. and if you are even mildly mechanically inclined you should be able to disassemble all of and look to see how it all works. some key points.
it's simple. most are like this. loosen your swing arm tensioner bolts. take off your chain. remove brake and mounting bracket. take off very large keeper bolt. (on the axle) take of the tire. slide axle out of the housing. you will normally leave on your sprocket cause that is the side for which the axle comes out. Inspect for gouges in the axle, and you'll have to remove the races with drive pins. making sure not to damage the housing as well. one other thing.lol. if you kept driving this quad and it was real bad and you didn't say so. you could have possibly wore your clutch down quite a bit.

i'm sorry if you already knew all of this. i am just trying to help someone who needs it. and i am not sure if you know a lot or a little or nothing at all. we get all kinds of folks on here. you never know. pm if you think of anything you need some knowledge on. my riding partner has a 450.