PDA

View Full Version : Steel Sprockets?

ZTR_MAN
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Ever since the release of the Quick Change Hub and Sprocket I have been wanting to offer the sprockets in two versions aluminum and steel. I have just been waiting to see how much interest there would be in the quick change setup.

So my question is if the sprockets are offered in steel will there be a lot more interest?

I am look for input from everyone because I don't want to invest in something that will gather dust on the shelf.

Thanks,

Logan #34's Dad
02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Hello James, The ONLY reason we'd want steel is because they last longer. We all want less rotating mass but if I can buy one steel one that will last all year then why buy 5 aluminum ones. I'd say if you make them from steel AND remove as much material as possible to keep them structurally sound to lower the weight then everyone would buy steel. Just my opinion.
Also, where's my package? LOL

ugliest6868
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
i have to agree with "THE ROCK" aluminums are junk to me. my kid can trash an aluminum in a moto or two. i can put on a steel and run it as long as i want, we need to think about whats good for the consumer. would you rather hear me say i have to replace my aluminums every other week, or, i got this steel from james last year and it still looks good? i think your gonnna sell more if the consumer knows its gonna hold up.

03-01-2009, 07:30 AM
I believe for the flat track racing the aluminum would hold for us just fine. I would love to have the aluminum set up for our quad as were running the DRR axel with the heavy sprocket hub.IMO.

ZTR_MAN
03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by ugliest6868
i have to agree with "THE ROCK" aluminums are junk to me. my kid can trash an aluminum in a moto or two. i can put on a steel and run it as long as i want, we need to think about whats good for the consumer. would you rather hear me say i have to replace my aluminums every other week, or, i got this steel from james last year and it still looks good? i think your gonnna sell more if the consumer knows its gonna hold up.

I absolutely agree that the steel will outlast aluminum and my goal is to build the highest quality product that will last.

The reason aluminum was the first choice is due to the machinability compared to steel. Steel sprockets will be more difficult to machine and thus the price will be higher than the aluminum.

ugliest6868
03-01-2009, 08:42 AM
howdy james, not that i'm a rich man buy any means but i would rather spend 3 or 4 times the money on a steel that is goin to last 10 times longer than an aluminum. and have piece of mind not worrying if my aluminum is gonna get mud and dirt in it on the track and start wearin and slippin and leave my kid stranded on the track. if a steel looks good at the gate its gonna look good when the checkers fly. i'm gonna test another aluminum today in the woods and a little mx with a diff set up than i had last week. i'll let you know how it holds up

hotquads1
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi James , just to give you some feedback , I have been running the aluminum sproket on Turbo's new quad since December , it has close to 100 laps of MX racing and practice (in red mud and lots of Florida sand) and the sproket still looks new . Obviously some of these guys are willing to use and pay for a steel sproket , but I will stick with the aluminum , it appears we will be able to run the whole season(at the current rate of wear) on these 2 aluminum sprokets. I just saw the pics in the ZTR forum , of Jag's original aluminum sproket , with over 250 laps it stills looks great, and I can verify that his rider is as fast as they come.
marc

leager-n-ky
03-01-2009, 06:00 PM
From my own personal experiences the two stroke does fine with aluminum ( less torque) the four strokes chew them up.

quadrider79
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by ugliest6868

If you are trashing an aluminum sprocket in one or two moto's then you have a serious problem. I'm still using the same one's that I bought at the beginning of last year.

#404's Dad
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Not a single issue with the Aluminum Rears on any of our Minis here, 50s, 70s and 90s all doing just fine!!!

We just make sure our chains are lined up properly, tension is set correctly and keep them clean and lubed!!!

I'll have a 108cc Apex wrenching on some Aluminum Rears here real quick too!!

We have some Aluminum Fronts as well and they wear just fine and dandy too but I do not trust them, I am in fear they will break at the Weld and cost us a Race.

ugliest6868
03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
i went out sunday with the kid and rode some trails which is somthing we normally dont do. we rode for about 2 hours it was muddy-er than all get out. he went through everthing i took my 450 through. he got stuck once instead of hittin a tree, after that he said the sprocket slipped a couple times, i looked, we rode. at the end of the ride everything including us was too muddy to see if the sprocket was toast. after washin the quads 3 times i could finally see a sprocket and everthing looked OK. he might of just had a rock or half a tree stuck in there for a minute, dont know, but i would still rather had a steel