PDA

View Full Version : valves ?

bigbad400
02-28-2009, 08:51 AM
i searched this site all over and cant find a how to on 400ex valves. i want to make sure they are in spec so i know if the ticking is my cam chain or valves out of spec. very clear tick and comming from the top, and temperature of the motor makes it louder but only slightly, when i give it gas from idle it does seem to speed up the ticking, could yall hep point me in the right direction? so is there a how to on 400ex valves?

rideracelivemx7
02-28-2009, 12:30 PM
hold on, ill pm you, i have an online manuel that helps on quite a bit.

crxjarred
02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
are u talken bout ur clearinec its .004 intake and .005 exaust

jaspurx
02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
There is not much to it. Several of the magazines did this years ago also. The ex is pretty basic. And that Jarred guy is right about the specs. It only takes a couple of wrenches a screwdriver ( straight ) and a feeler guage.

hale23
02-28-2009, 03:22 PM
The guy that works on my fourwheeler has told me that if you have a cam it can sound like your valves are ticking.

rob_990
02-28-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

02-28-2009, 09:40 PM
The 400ex valves tick a little loud even when they are in spec. Its just the nature of the beast j/k lol Its easier if you cant tell when they are out of adjustment to just keep a schedule.

bigbad400
03-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by hale23
The guy that works on my fourwheeler has told me that if you have a cam it can sound like your valves are ticking.

all 400ex have a cam you mean an aftermarket cam, no not yet i dont, but thanks anyhow.

thanks to the guy that sent the valve adjust guide from this site to me.
and thanks to the guy that sent the downloadable clymer manual.

ill be doing the valves later this afternoon and ill let you know if its the cam chain and tensioner or if it was the valves.

now that i think about it, how would i know if i had an aftermarket cam in there. i baught it used from ebay and never checked but it ran real strong befor the other **** i did to it, and last summer i raced a bone stock off the showroom floor, 07 400ex, and i just sprayed him, i mean it walked all over that quad, i thaugth it was all stock but tires and a k&n filter when i got it but now im thinking it has something done in there. so how would i know?

rob_990
03-01-2009, 07:52 AM
mine has hot cams stamped on the cam

bigbad400
03-01-2009, 08:12 AM
thats a dead give away. i guess i hope mine says hotcams on it too. anyother ways to know if its aftermarket?

bigbad400
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
well the valves are in tolerance, i checked em like 5 times each. so i think its the cam chain or tensioner. any other ideas that would make the topend tick like that. whats that decompression thing all about, could that be ticking? it runs great, good compression, just cant seem to locate the annoying tick. as cold as its bean, it starts silently, just idles good till it warms up to hot and then starts ticking. in warm weather it ticks all the time. i did not get a chance to check the cam to see if its aftermarket but when i got it had very little done with it, stock exhaust, stock everything, dg bumper that will be replaced when the new pro aluminum one comes in tomarrow or the next day. it had race cut fenders, and they were cut ****ty. and a k&n filter on it. i highly doubt that it has a cam.

Young_Gun1
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
i've run my 400 hard and its guides for the cam chain are still good so it shouldn't be that and my chain was still good but i hear that they often stretch so i suppose it might be that but i doubt it...probably just the normal 400 tick from the top end

RaceinCircles
03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I would check your cam chain and tensioner... I was having a tick with mine couldnt figure out what it was and then when I took the head off the cam chain was loose as a goose and probably jumped time making my piston hit the valves..

Mine was pretty loud though...

BossHogg420
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
yea u prob just have the normal ex ticking going on....mine ticks all the time

hale23
03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I did mean to say hot cam. Try using a thicker oil and see if that changes anything.