View Full Version : 1984 ford ranger... i need some help...

woodsracer144
02-27-2009, 09:01 PM
ok so im gonna say right now... that i know very little about the trucks and stuff... and i have a 84 ford ranger i was tryin to sell.. anyways a guy came out and looked at it and told me one or more of the rings are shot and its blowing the oil out the valve covers on the filler cap in to the carb and its burning it... any ways... i paid 500 for it and its been a good truck i like it... it always starts for me with no problems... but its not the motor thats sopose to be in there... theres a 2.8 V6 in it and its sopose to have a 4 cyl in it... i have the 4 cyl tranny in there or it is in there.. so whats the best bet for me to do?

i could rebuild that motor thats in there and get it done... i have a buddy that raced a mod stock car and he does alot of his work so i dont think it would be hard to get it rebuild but the motor and trans dont mount right up do theres a mounting plate type thing in there and theres a gap by the clutch and i dont like that...

i would like to put a lift and a perkins in it if i could.... but what would be my best bet?

thanks

hardkoratvmxr
02-27-2009, 09:05 PM
As a ranger owner myself I would say that the best bet for the most information possible is to go to www.ranger-forums.com and sign up. There is a wealth of knowledge over there. The site is moving to a new server tonight but that is just going to make it a better site overall.

woodsracer144
02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
i signed up for that but it wouldnt work... i could sign in and i had a account and all that...the mods did approve me...

hardkoratvmxr
02-28-2009, 12:23 AM
so the mods didnt approve you?
what is your sn on there i will talk to one and have you approved by tomorrow evening

KXRida
02-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Ranger forums are ok, but I find therangerstation.com a lot more helpful. Also check out roughrangers and ranger power sports. Sounds like at the least you're going to be looking into some motor work. If not, personally, I'd just put a 2.9 in it and call it a day. You can pick them up dirt cheap from a lot of places as well as the transmission. Infact I have a 2.9 and 2 tranny's. The 2.9 needs a new head. The one transmission sounds like it had an input shaft going, and the other one is good to go. Like I said, call around and see how that goes. Also, you'll need a computer for FI, so don't leave that out. If you do go with a 2.9, you can put a 4.0L clutch in it. It does require that you get a new flywheel(which usually get's replaced with a new clutch) and starter. It's a lot stronger and the clutches are almost the same price. You do have to rewire the starter though. I'm like a mini ranger guru, so I'll help ya out the best I can. I'm going to pick up a fiberglass front end conversion for my ranger on the 11th. After that when I get my tax return, it's new axles, gears, and springs.

400exrider707
02-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I like the www.rangerpowersports.com not as technical sometimes but there is a handful of guys on there that really know their stuff. Also www.therangerstation.com is a good one.

Hey its a $500 truck, if it was me I'd just run it and keep adding oil, who cares? Upgrade when it dies.

woodsracer144
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks for the help how would i wire up the FI with the carb?

extremeblastr
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
you wouldn't he is saying swap it out for a FI 2.9 with the tranny that came in the 2.9 trucks and throw a clutch from a 4.0 in that tranny

KXRida
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
you wouldn't he is saying swap it out for a FI 2.9 with the tranny that came in the 2.9 trucks and throw a clutch from a 4.0 in that tranny

precisely... You'll have a pretty decent v6 in it, a decent tranny, and if you do the 4.0L clutch you'll have a nice strong clutch. If you really feel ambitious, put a 1354 Tcase in it and you'll have a pretty decent drive train in it and you'll be set to go for a while.

woodsracer144
02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
how doesnt the FI have a bunch of wirein how does the FI wire up? when was the FI brought in to the rangers? i dont know what you are takin about... post a pic of what i woud be lookin for pease.

KXRida
03-01-2009, 04:46 AM
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31162

I'm talking about putting an entirely new engine in. You just need the 2.9 wiring harness and computer.

That's everything you would need as far as drivetrain for $125. The rangerstation is loaded with 2.9 parts.

woodsracer144
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
holy **** bombs... how would i do the wireing? and how much is the goods besides the motor trans andT-case? would the angle on the drive shafts work? would this mount right in? thanks

KXRida
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Wiring... Get a 2.9 harness, get a 2.9 computer and PLUG IT IN!!!!!

Drive shafts should work, but the rear may or may not be the right length. If it's not, they are easily found at a junk yard. Yes, a 2.9 is a direct bolt in as well as a 2.3, 2.8, 3.0, and 4.0.

jonboy
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Get a 2.3 4cyl and drop it in it. They are extremely good engines. Not much in the way of power but a turbo can fix that. The 2.8 and 2.9 were both boat anchors. If you go bigger drop a 302 in it well worth it. I ve had all of these engines in a ranger at one point and the 2.3 could handle alot of miles. I currently have a 92 ranger with 322,xxx miles on it and it still runs like a top.

KXRida
03-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by jonboy
Get a 2.3 4cyl and drop it in it. They are extremely good engines. Not much in the way of power but a turbo can fix that. The 2.8 and 2.9 were both boat anchors. If you go bigger drop a 302 in it well worth it. I ve had all of these engines in a ranger at one point and the 2.3 could handle alot of miles. I currently have a 92 ranger with 322,xxx miles on it and it still runs like a top.

Judging by the sounds of it ($500 truck) I doubt he's going to want to turbo charge a 2.3. A 2.9 is more than suffice. One of fords most reliable engines, but they are noted for noisey valve trains. Yes, a 302 will work, but he'll be making some more trips to the junkyard for a C4, NP205 or 208, driveshafts, most likely and 8.8 and dana 35, etc. I believe you can buy engine mounts now, but in the end you usually take the stock mounts and modify them. That seems to work the best. As far as v8's in RBV's, my brother has a 396 in ranger as well as two 302 bronco II's. A bone stock 302 makes considerably less power than a stock 4.0L, but it's easier/cheaper to make a 302 go faster than a 4.0L. I'm still up in the air on which engine I'll be swapping in. My suspension will dictate that. If I retain the D35 for my long travel, I'll use a 4.0L, If I use a 302, I'll be looking into using a D50 ttb.

woodsracer144
03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Wiring... Get a 2.9 harness, get a 2.9 computer and PLUG IT IN!!!!!

Drive shafts should work, but the rear may or may not be the right length. If it's not, they are easily found at a junk yard. Yes, a 2.9 is a direct bolt in as well as a 2.3, 2.8, 3.0, and 4.0.

i know what a harness is... i want to know if its more then just around the motor... like will i have to re wire the whole truck? how will the blinkers get juice? all that...

if i do the swap i would like a reliable motor and tranny...

woodsracer144
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
wsy

woodsracer144
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
theres a pic of the old beauty... she was mean and lean but now the motor isnt what i want anymore...

KXRida
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i know what a harness is... i want to know if its more then just around the motor... like will i have to re wire the whole truck? how will the blinkers get juice? all that...

if i do the swap i would like a reliable motor and tranny...

they plug in to the existing harness/connections. You retain all of you current wiring (turn signals, headlights, etc). It's not like you throw away all of that to do an engine swap.

woodsracer144
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
As a ranger owner myself I would say that the best bet for the most information possible is to go to www.ranger-forums.com and sign up. There is a wealth of knowledge over there. The site is moving to a new server tonight but that is just going to make it a better site overall.

the dang mods havent approve me yet! :mad: what the heck!?its been like 3 or4 daysat least

KXRida
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
go to TRS