PDA

View Full Version : idles good then pops and stalls

in the woods
02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
this problem is with a 2004 bayou 250.
it starts up good when cold with the choke and seems to take along time to warm up, it will stall if I bring the choke down to quick.
when warm it starts right up, will idle fine or ok for a minute or two then just stalls out
starts back up great and idles good... touch the throttle or let it idle and... pop and stalls

some say valves since I have allready cleaned the carb(that looked brand new inside)

i need help this annoying.

thanks

the Z Man
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Sounds like it might be starving for fuel, check the filter in your tank, your gas cap for proper breathing.
Loosen the cap and see if it still does it.
Clean the air filter...
Just some thoughts I have..

in the woods
02-27-2009, 07:59 PM
thanks Z-man, the air filter has recently been cleaned, it has a new plug but I have not checked the gas tank breather yet. That would be to easy. I wish it would be that simple.

I didnt mention that it will stay running if I keep the revs up with the throttle but then it back fires some when I let up.

Or turn the idle up, but then it drives itself when I put it in gear.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to do a valve adjustment, but how often do they usually need to be looked at?

k4f5x0r
02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
sounds like a clogged carbuerator. after testing the easier things take it apart and spray ccarb cleaner through the jets. same symptoms on my friends kfx400 and it was always the carb ;)

in the woods
02-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I've taken the carb off and apart, the bottom of the bowl was even clean, it looked brand new in there. I removed the jets (big and small) and the mixture screw sprayed cleaner through them and in every hole I could see, I'm gonna try it again

the Z Man
02-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Look for a cracked intake boot, very hard to see but could be sucking air making it very lean..