PDA

View Full Version : Rossier - Which end Cap?

X400EX
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm finaly going with the rossier exhaust.

Now, I got to choose between these 2 end caps :

http://www.rossiereng.com/images/products/endcaps.jpg

I would personaly take the first one (on the left), looks much better, IMO.

What do you think?

crixal
02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
i have the turn down. i wanted the cone, but it won't fit w/ my bumper. i personally like the cone better. charlie said they both sound the same. the pipe is a perfect fit up, sounds awesome, and makes a night & day difference. are you getting their intake, too? good luck w/ your buy. they're great people.

hotshotgoal30
02-27-2009, 05:47 PM
my vote is the cone. thats what ill be purchasing when i get mine

X400EX
02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Alright, I'm gonna go with the cone.

Yes, I'm also buying the intake. :)

I will only need to do the pink wire mod and I'll be right on spot.

Thanks for the replies.

TNT
02-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Depends on if you are concerned about noise. If you race GNC's for example they may do a sound test then down turn is better since the AMA manual has you rev the quad according to make and model then place a DB meter behind the quad at a distance away. Otherwise the cone looks like it might produce more power.

I learned something about pipes last week I didn't know, on some motors back pressure is desirable since what it does is creates a higher pressure at the header than the tail pipe and since air speed is fast from high to low pressure it can create more output. So it's hard to say what end peice will create more power....I'd get them both if you can afford it.

crixal
02-28-2009, 06:57 AM
charlie rossier said they're the same sound & db. i guess you're saying the turn down is less db further away?

X400EX
02-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I have a question : Will the intake fit in the 09 air box? Is the 09 air box any different from 08?

TNT
02-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by crixal
charlie rossier said they're the same sound & db. i guess you're saying the turn down is less db further away?

Yes if you put a DB meter at the tip his pipe is the same I'm guessing he means? If the cap is ponting down it's expansion ban will be less towards the rear and outward than if it's pointing straight back. When it's pointing down the ground will act as a sound board and dampen sound.

This is important when it comes to measuring and passing the AMA db test used by some manufactures, racing series, national parks and recreational organizations. Basically the AMA procedure has the tester put a DB meter you can get a radio shack on a stand behind the quad at a distance away in line with muffler flow, rev the motor according to make and model, and take a reading. If the tip is pointing down less sound waves can reach the meter. We've done testing before with caps pointing down and/or back by AMA guidelines, I've seen ATVA run them at nationals for certain classes. Probably best to ask the manufacturer if they used AMA rules to db test their pipes so there's no surprises, or you call ATVA for the booklet and do it yourself. The test set up has a lot to do with the DB reading but pointing down should pass the test better than back in most cases.

TNT
02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by X400EX
I have a question : Will the intake fit in the 09 air box? Is the 09 air box any different from 08?

Yes it's the same. Problem with the stock intake system is it's a turbulant bottle neck starving a head with a lot of air flow from the air it needs. This engine has big valves and large ports the stock rubber intakes need replacing and the ports need a grind and polish. Next week I should have an plastic intake and K&N in that fits in the air box by the same guy that makes Fuel Custom Intakes.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/fuelcustoms2006yfz450intakes.html

If you just put a bigger filter on without doing anything to the intake it will not be very effective since all your doing is pushing more air flow into a restrictive turbulant chamber.

X400EX
02-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Thank you TNT1, I appreciate your quick reply.

Well, I might stay with the rossier intake without replacing the stock rubber intake. I will do that because I want to be right on spot with the pink wire mod. I don't want to buy the powercommander if rossier says I don't need it.

I'm also not gonna race, I'm mainly gonna it my ramp with that DS.

http://www.rossiereng.com/downloads/ds450_pink_wire_mod.pdf

:)

TNT
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh ok, yeah your on the right path then...that new pipe will pull more air out of your motor and the filter will let more in, the pink wire race map should work good depending on the density and pressure of air you ride in. Just watch your fan, I believe the coolant temp sensor input to the ECM determines when it comes on. If it comes on often your engine may be running lean. You can go to the dealer and they have limited ability to add more fuel to the map through BUDDs software so you don't need a fuel controller. You'll want your MAP and temp right so you don't go into a temp rev limit limp home mode or wear engine components, and have them check your temp limit limp mode while your there for the 09 update to see if it needs to be raised based on engine #. If you ever do need one go with PC5 w/the 02 sensor and auto-tuner, then what ever elevation you are at the MAP will adjust automatically beyond the stock capabilities, no need to redyno or carry maps on your PC or get a tune saving you money in the long haul....If you have not purchased your pipe yet ask Rossier to add the O2 flange in the pipe so if you ever want to add one later it's there. Good luck! :D

X400EX
03-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank you TNT1.. I appreciate all the details. I'll try, if it's possible with Rossier, to get the O2 flange with the pipe.