PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

WesDS450X
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
So i have a K&N filter for my ds450, its pretty big and im yet to find an outterwares filter for it that fits! im still runnin air box with lid off! would it be safe just to run the filter with no outterwares or should i stick to my stock filter with its outtersware?

loons
02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
You should run an outerwear in the sand. Until you get one, get a set of pantyhose and cut it to fit. They actually breathe better than the outerweas and keep more sand out.

WesDS450X
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Alright cool thanks for the advise!

mfr422
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Wes,
Go to outerwears.com, they have them available for your machine in normal and water repellant in any color you want. You can order direct from them, P/N 10-1704 is the normal sock for your machine, look under powersports, Happy duning, Lonny

WesDS450X
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the help!! got it in today! my dealer was confused on where i got it! told him i made it my self lol!

scuzz
03-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by loons
You should run an outerwear in the sand. Until you get one, get a set of pantyhose and cut it to fit. They actually breathe better than the outerweas and keep more sand out.

I tried this and actually found little grains of sand in my intake. Panty hose is a VERY poor filter.

smr
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I sugest taking the K&N off and throwing it away. They let way to much dirt by. Every one that comes into my shop I find dirt in the intake.

I run a uni. K&N is fine for a road vechicle but not a quad.

glamiskid395
03-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by smr
I sugest taking the K&N off and throwing it away. They let way to much dirt by. Every one that comes into my shop I find dirt in the intake.

I run a uni. K&N is fine for a road vechicle but not a quad.

that is from poor maintenace.
ive been running a K&N with outerwear on my 400ex since 05 when i got the bike new. and dont have a problem, i ride only in the sand at glamis.
proper cleaning and oiling is a must, going to a foam just means you are lazy, and dont want to spend the time cleaning the filter as often.
last year i got a powerlid, and all i have to do is clean the lid, the main filter doesnt get dirty at all. (i blocked off the stock intake hole, that lets in too much sand.)

scuzz
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
You should check the poll I have on filters and how many people are displeased with cotton gauze filters:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377950

smr
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
wow...from a guy that has no idea who I am or what i do you sure slammed me on maintance.

I will make sure I tell everyone at LLyons next month that they should find a new mechanic that is not so lazy....:D

I most likely work on more quads in a week than you do all year....don't know that for sure but I am a very busy person. Not only do I work on quads to suport our racing habbit but I maintain 3 quads that run at least one race a month between GNCC and Midsouth and now KORHS. I still stand behind what I say.....use a foam filter. K&N does not give anymore power and they will really shorten the life of a motor.