PDA

View Full Version : Gurus need help!

NJQuads
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I have searched this and many other forums and can't find an answer.

Will Suzuki LTR 450 front shocks fit a 2002 400EX?

I am 2 days away from getting brand new never used 08 LTR 450 front shocks for my 400. I have a welder/fabricator who will help me fit them, but is there a reason anyone knows why they WON'T work? I can't find any reasons. I also can't get a shock length listed anywhere to compare.

The 08 and up LTR shocks are supposedly less harsh so I am hoping they will be nice and soft when turned all the way down.

Any advise please????

Thank you guys!!!

Fred

NJQuads
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Anyone??

Bueler????

Ok I found out the LTR 450 shockes are supposedly 17.3 inches from eye to eye.

Does this help? Will these fit???

fandl450r
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Personally I'd buy shocks that were intended for a 400EX. But what do I know.

It's not a good idea.

NJQuads
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Obviously the Honda 450R is the most popular switch and it's sticking with Honda too.....but the people I talk to say that for trail riding the springs are way too stiff. So paying $200-$250 for used shocks and then $230 for springs doesn't make sense to me.

But thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any thoughts??

ccdhowell
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I grafted some '06 LTr450 shocks onto the front of my '90 LT250R. If I remember right they are about 18.25" long. I have +2 arms on my old Quadracer and the spring rate of the stock LTR shocks was pretty good, or should I say so much better than the stockers I took off that a comparrison would be fruitless. I say go for it, you'll love them, hope you got them for a good price, I got mine for a nice price, that's why I did what I did.

fandl450r
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
It's not just that, it's the fact that while the eye to eye length may be correct, there are many other factors that play a role in how a shock performs. Spring rate, leverahe ratio, valving. All these are specific to make and model. Which is why using shocks MADE for a 400EX will provide a far superior ride than just using stockers from other machines.

NJQuads
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Howell Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate that and I am glad to hear you had some success.

FANDL: I am getting them for a steal....and they were never ridden on. That's the biggest reason I want to try them. Plus, my friend is a master welder and has a sick Honda 450R and is confident he can get them to work.

BUT....I understand what you are saying and I would buy a mated set of shocks for the 400 if I had the loot.

Thank you both for your feedback.