PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers: affect steering effort?

dwhst9
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I was thinking about picking up some 2" wheel spacers for the front and rear of our Scrambler 90 simply for more stability in the off-camber stuff on the trails. Will spacers make it harder for him to turn the handle bars? We don't do any MX racing, just trail riding.

BradLoomis
02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, it will require more pressure because the tires don't turn they actually will move forward and backward the wider the spacers are. But that is not what concerns me as much as the jaring his wrists will get when he runs into something. Save the penny's and get wider a-arms for more stability, but I prefer the narrower width for trail riding.

dwhst9
02-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Yes, it will require more pressure because the tires don't turn they actually will move forward and backward the wider the spacers are. But that is not what concerns me as much as the jaring his wrists will get when he runs into something. Save the penny's and get wider a-arms for more stability, but I prefer the narrower width for trail riding.

I already have +3 a-arms. I see
most everyone running spacers, but I don't want to make it hard to steer which is why he has 0 offset front wheels.

marsrace2
02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
the farther yoy space the center of the wheel from the ball joint the more it effects the steering, as you space it out you will also end up making the steering twitchy, it will pull more with every bump you hit and make it seem more unstable at higher speeds. This is from our personal experience.