PDA

View Full Version : 500r atc conversion.

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Hey folks, well that is the current project that I am working on, a 500cr conversion to 250r atc. I am basing it off of the 86 250r frame, and everything else is from an 86 250r atc.

Currently I am still looking for a cr500 engine, but once I get that I can begin fitting the engine!

Have many of you ever road one of these?

12-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Holy cow!!..get some life insurance!! :eek:

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 05:27 PM
hehe, it should be a blast. Right now im making the trike version because, I found frame and other parts for pretty cheap. I might build a trx version afterwards If I can find it.

Glow Plug
12-25-2002, 05:29 PM
Wasn't a atc 500 in 4 wheel atv action January issue ???

anyway sound like a really kill once it;s done

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Yes I think there was one, I seen post about it, and some other information about that issue. It should be a pretty cool three wheeler once I get done.

beerock
12-25-2002, 06:24 PM
your gonna need to gusset the frame heavily....
or your gonna be entering crack city.

I wonder whats gonns get ya first, the cracks or the vibration.

Ive been told the vibration numbs your hand and you cant hold on.:eek:

just a suggeststion, Try to make the motor isilated on rubber mounts if you can to cut down...

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Yes I know about all that, and I am goin to do alot to minimize the 500 shaking, but its not that bad. My hands went 'numb' with my stock 250r, the 500 isnt that much worse, just a little wider field of vibration.

The rubber mounts will take alot of the vibration from the engine, and I know alot of people who have 500atc conversions, and comming first hand from the ones that have built them correctly, say it isnt that big of a deal with the shaking.

Frame strength wise, there will be some buffing of the weak points, but I know one person atleast that has had the 500 for more than two years and yet to see a crack... and trust me he rides it like it's supposed to be, ruff.

Some mods Im goin to do after it gets built:
Port/polish,
40mm+ carb,
PC'ed parts custom color,
+6-8" swing arm,
electric starter,
and maybe some other things.

12-25-2002, 07:01 PM
good luck man, is it better then the cr450f conversion's as in motor?

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure, I havnt read or heard much about that conversion, I just like the tried, and proven statistics that the 500cr engines have given.

Most of the problems people have had, I'm fabricating alot of fixes for them. Lots of research has gone into this from me anyways. It wont be a perfect conversion, but it should be a fairly decent one.

But being my first conversion with a 500, I am not sure what frame modifications I will be able to do to help keep the tires on the ground, so I guess if I do another one I will have to find out!

The only thing I know is top speed will likily be around 110mph with 15/38 gearing, and you'll be able to pull a wheelie in 5th most likily going aroudn 75. Those are all estimates, but alot of it comes from the people i've talked to that have them.

Juggalo
12-25-2002, 08:39 PM
once again there goes beerock giving out false information.

instictz- that bike should be awesome if you build it. in a trike frame you don't gave to worry about vibration like you do in a quad frame. sure rubber motor mounts will help but the vibration should be barely more than there would be in the original CR500 dirtbike. i have seen pics of a CR500 atc before and it was nice. make sure you get a really extended swingarm!

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks jug, I'm sure they do shake, and I am not sure why people always say they shake your jaws off.. but from the people that I have talked to that really have one first hand.. say they are not that bad.

I guess i'll find out tho wont I? :D

I am planning on putting either +6, or +8 because I dont want it to be drag only, and real long arms' look awkward, and dont help steering all that good.. and jumping gets ruined if its much more than 8.

Chef
12-25-2002, 08:49 PM
I remember seeing one at Winchester Bay. Looked kinda scrapped together, but it sure was fast. Had what looked like a +12 or 14 inch swingarm, and a wider axle too. The front tire seemed to be on the ground about half the time, even with that.

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 08:57 PM
lol, man thats a long swing arm.. well I guess I will have to experiment. First I am putting +6 or 8, and then I'll buy another swing arm if I think It needs to be longer.. depending on what im doing I can interchange them. Like if I have a drag race comming up, strap on the +12 =).

This wont be ported, polished, or any engine mods untill I have the frame and suspension mods all figured out. After its built and everything, comes Phase "Bling Bling".

optikid123
12-25-2002, 09:02 PM
i think the one in dirtwheels was a atc 250r with only 1 back tire and a cr500 engine in it i think it was the guy from fullbore. but it only had 1 back weheel cause it was before they thought bikes could go in sand

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Oh, Fat Cat 250r? Thats what they called those old modifications. I bet that would be pretty awkward with a cr500 in there..

Does anyone know the weight difference of 250r , and cr500 engines?

433rd
12-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Instinctz

Does anyone know the weight difference of 250r , and cr500 engines?

About 10 or 12 pounds and almost double the HP. The CR500 is one screaming engine.

Banshee's... say your prayers!!!

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 09:47 PM
Lol, wow, not very much heaver! yeah I kinda coined the name "Quad Raper", but I still love quads :D

Chef
12-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Check out this that I found...CR500, of course.

12-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 433rd

Banshee's... say your prayers!!!

dont speak to soon :devil

Instinctz
12-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Yes I kinda like that one, it is based on the cr's frame, and not the 250r's. I dont really like that as much because its set up higher for dragging.

The 500r atc should be able to beat anything stock as of now, and most moded quads with out big huge bore's, and engine swaps themselfs.. in a drag.

But for mx, the 500r atc would probably loose to alot, due to the torqy power it puts out, and some other suspension problems.

I do know there is never an ultimate atv :rolleyes:

dann
08-28-2005, 08:09 PM
hey im dan im new here im 17 and from ontario canada there is two ways to do this trike one way is your idea and the other is turn the bike into a three wheeler .im turning my cr 500 into a trike you gotta custom make a swingarm and get a 250r front end. for your project you need to cut you frame just near where the pipe goes on the motor the exhaust will not clear the 250r frame simly rasie the ''y'' pipe up bye cutting a chuck out and rewelding it higher
now the kickstarter will need to be modified so it doesnt hit the frame when its kicked over beacuse the cr is a narrow motor. now theres a huge difference in power but not really weight so hold ! good luck with your project
mine will be done im hoping in 3 months mine will be alot taller than your im using my motocross rear suspension and my forks off my bioke so it will have alot more travel

Mxjunkie
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
check the date bro!