PDA

View Full Version : 440 having Battery/starter issues

EXinMB
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
hey i have a wiseco 440 big bore kit with the 12.5 comp piston in it and a hotcam stg 2 and theres no decompressor on the cam and i had probems starting when i put the bore kit in and then it got easier until i fixed a leaking head gasket now my quad's been sitting in the cold all winter so the battery is pooched im sure but the starter barely cranks the motor over and if i touch the throttle while cranking it just dies.
has anyone else had these problems with such high compression and stock starters? if so what did ya do

BigLuke
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Ive got 12.1 compression with my 416, colder weather does kill a battery but keep it on a trickle-charger when its cold and it'll be fine. 1 amp trickle is best.

Wheelie
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
YT12AB-S battery. 175cca as opposed to the stockers 120ish.

400thacker
02-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I had the same problem. I didn't have the decompressor spring and pin so I took the decompressor off of my TC pro nat cam and couldn't get it to start. ether helped but I didn't want it to be like that all the time so I put the stock cam back in with decompressor spring and pin and it worked great. it makes a difference for sure. If you get a higher amerage battery that may possibly fix the problem.

rideracelivemx7
02-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I hafd the exact problem with mine, that's how you know she's not fully broken in yet hah, give it a good week of riding and you'll be fine, trust me, keep a trickle charger on the battery! I got a harley battery and modded the box to fit and it deff helped out, don't worry it will ease off in time, I thought myt starter was going to die because my tolerance was so good from the boring

Wheelie
02-27-2009, 07:48 PM
The battery I listed is a direct fit, the only difference is that it's 1lb heavier than the stocker. It's a Busa' battery.

dunatic
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
and if you want the very best, replace the battery with a Odyssey battery. Dry cell....3x the CCA of any battery that size.