PDA

View Full Version : highschool football positions

gcart2
02-26-2009, 04:14 AM
hows everyone doin. Well i started playing football last year and i loved it. I played O line, left guard and center. i weight 175 and i am 5' 11". i ran a 4.6-4.9, so i was always the pulling guard. lol i was much smaller than the other guys, however, i was fast and always gave the first hit off the line. however my dilemma was i always loved to tackle, not block.

anyways, the defensive coach tried to get me to play d line, linebacker (middle), and safety. i got to play a couple games both ways but due to the lack of hitters coach made me stay on o line. d line was easy for me. however i was always lost when playing linebacker and safety. Do we have any safeties and/or middle linebackers on here that can share some info on these positions?

i have talked to all my coaches and i will be one of the three, d line, linebacker, safety. im excited for next year

but yea any information would be gladly accepted.
:)

16 years old
5' 11"
175lbs (i want to be over 200)
run a 4.6-4.9

:D

redrider91
02-26-2009, 06:29 AM
i got moved from linebacker to noseguard cause i kept looking in the backfield and gettin lost. the best thing i can tell you is to watch the guard and they will take you to the play 95% of the time. wether they pull, pass block, double team or just come straight out to get you you will know where the play is going. then when you have a clear read(open gap) go through it and find the ball

csr250r
02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
My freshman year i was on the line O and D, now im middle linebacker and pulling guard.

tim colston
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I played middle linebacker on the strong side in high school and college. In high school most of the offenses you will play against, the guards will tell you the way of the play. for instance if the guards first step is to your right odds are that is where the play is going. yeah there are circumstances when this rule doens't apply but more times than not it works. also look at the linemans hands and stance if they r back on their heals with little pressure on their hands that usually means they are standing up to pass block. There are may secrets you will find once you start playing the position and getting a better feel it. Good luck and hit the weights hard, keep your speed. Head on a swivel and keep your eye out for receivers either crack blocking or looking to get in the dead zone between the linebackers. I usually just leveled anyone who crossed my path. yeah it drew some penalties but they thought twice about coming my way again.

csr250r
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
I played middle linebacker on the strong side in high school and college. In high school most of the offenses you will play against, the guards will tell you the way of the play. for instance if the guards first step is to your right odds are that is where the play is going. yeah there are circumstances when this rule doens't apply but more times than not it works.

When we play teams that read our guards we false pull. Kinda funny watching the backers run into eachother. But that only works the first time pretty much.

tim colston
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
When we play teams that read our guards we false pull. Kinda funny watching the backers run into eachother. But that only works the first time pretty much.

how do you false pull? and what kind of play is it. just curious. hell i am 33 yrs old now but I do love football.

raptor35086
02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
yeaa just quit dude...just go out for the cheerleading squad

4.6-4.9?:huh

jcv400ex
02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
could play defensive end also. I actually liked it better than middle linebacker.

but I always read the guards and which way the back headed.

warriorxcr1
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
former guard and d end right here haha

csr250r
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
how do you false pull? and what kind of play is it. just curious. hell i am 33 yrs old now but I do love football.

If the other teams backers are really reading our guards (we pull alot) we will send a guard on a false pull opposite to the side we are running, the backers will follow the guard. By the time they realize it they are out of play.

exrider12
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Quarter back here:D .

Starting jv next year.

Im small 5'9" 130 :macho.

ricksmx865
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I played middle linebacker on the strong side in high school and college. In high school most of the offenses you will play against, the guards will tell you the way of the play. for instance if the guards first step is to your right odds are that is where the play is going. yeah there are circumstances when this rule doens't apply but more times than not it works. also look at the linemans hands and stance if they r back on their heals with little pressure on their hands that usually means they are standing up to pass block. There are may secrets you will find once you start playing the position and getting a better feel it. Good luck and hit the weights hard, keep your speed. Head on a swivel and keep your eye out for receivers either crack blocking or looking to get in the dead zone between the linebackers. I usually just leveled anyone who crossed my path. yeah it drew some penalties but they thought twice about coming my way again.

EXACTLY what i was going to say!

also In HS when a QB drops back to pass its easy to read his eyes to where he is going to throw the ball...... And most arent good enough to throw a good pump fake so when he takes his weak hand off the ball he's throwing

I played saftey in HS..... and like an idiot didnt take any of my offers to play college ball :confused: :mad:

Oh and punish the ball carrier... the more they get hit the less they wanna run lol :devil: ;)

300extreme#8
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
It's all about ow well you cope with the game, if you cannot judge be reaction I'd say be a defensive end, you hit every snap and you either try to make the tackle or string the play horizontally. Linebacker you back options you have to respect and you must play smarter, but this is where the big hitters like to play, and you gotta be able to judge the back field during play. Safety is actually the hardest of the all b/c you have alot on your shoulders. Running the ball or if they pass, you may not make many tackles but by God if you let someone by you for a touchdown then everyone looks at you like its all your fault! even if the guy with the ball breaks 10 tackles infornt of you. you just gotta pick one the work really hard at it.

Wish i could go back and work on kicking... laugh if you want but many colleges want good punters and kickers and its harder to find a good kicker or punter than any other position.

exrider12
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Cant read my eyes when i drop back. coaches tell me i look off DB's better than our varsity QB.;)

gcart2
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
EXACTLY what i was going to say!

also In HS when a QB drops back to pass its easy to read his eyes to where he is going to throw the ball...... And most arent good enough to throw a good pump fake so when he takes his weak hand off the ball he's throwing

I played saftey in HS..... and like an idiot didnt take any of my offers to play college ball :confused: :mad:

Oh and punish the ball carrier... the more they get hit the less they wanna run lol :devil: ;)

i love to hit. thats why being the pulling guard made me so happy. the thing about d line is that there are so many. middle line backer though, its a whole different games.

thanks for all the input guys. keep it coming