PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel bearings

LONG-ROD
02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
well I got my bearins in and got it all tgether to find out they are thiner then the old ones in got bearings for a 86 89 r the old ones had just two bearing, single row so where do I find the wider ones, like 1/2 inch, i a need help quick

CoDean45
02-25-2009, 08:46 PM
do you have a stock or aftermarket bearing carrier?

LONG-ROD
02-26-2009, 04:43 AM
I do not no it had 2 beariing that where about 1/2 inch everyone told me that it was a single row and need the stock ones but they where to narrow

CoDean45
02-26-2009, 05:08 AM
are the bearings tapered?

250Rrebuild87
02-26-2009, 05:15 AM
DID YOU PUT THE SPACERS BACK IN BEFORE THE BEARING I FORGOT ONE TIME AND YOU NEED THOSE IN THERE THEY MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE

05LSR250R
02-26-2009, 06:17 AM
I helped you on the original Question a while back. Pics of this carrier will help. If there is one brg. per side and it is about a 1/2 inch then the stock ones should have done the job. I'm wondering if somethin' else is going on here. Did you mount the axle and tighten everything up? If so what is going on after that? The only "spacer" that should be in the carrier is a center crush tube. Unless you've got some crazy one off e-bay carrier or somethin'.

derby
02-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Aftermarket carriers use a double row bearing. So both of your bearings you took out are about 1/4 inch wider bearing than the stock ones you bought. They hold up better than the stock bearings. It is an altinator bearing that you can buy at an autoparts store. I might be able to track down the #'s if you want.

05LSR250R
02-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Not all aftermarket carriers use twin row bearings! He measured the ones he took out and said they were 1/2 inch! Sounds alot like a single row carrier to me!

derby
02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
If you buy a quality carrier it will come with 2 double row bearings. So he bought stock bearings single row and he says" I got my bearins in and got it all tgether to find out they are thiner then the old ones" Single row are the thinner which he purchased and they are not wide enough, he needs the double row which are the wider version. So he took out double row and put in a single row. Like I said he needs double row bearing that is thicker.

05LSR250R
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Thers a thread this guy started earlier! In this thread he said the bearings that he pulled out of the carrier was 1/2 inch thick. 1/2 inch thick is not double row! My double row is about 1 inch thick! Not startin' any **** here but 1/2 inch thick is not a double carrier, unless its two stock brgs. stacked in the carrier! Two stocks on each side of the crush tube!

250Rrebuild87
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
On the 86' 87' rear bearing carrier if stock has a washer that goes between tube and bearing i looked it up on babbits online . com it gives you a break down on swing-arm

05LSR250R
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 250Rrebuild87
On the 86' 87' rear bearing carrier if stock has a washer that goes between tube and bearing i looked it up on babbits online . com it gives you a break down on swing-arm

Thats good info.! Never had a stock carrier from those years. Thanx for the insight!

EXtreme-
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
I do not no it had 2 beariing that where about 1/2 inch everyone told me that it was a single row and need the stock ones but they where to narrow take the old ones to a nearest NAPA store and ask them for #907257 bearings from a GM air compressor. Compare the two. They're most likely the ones you need, which are dbl row and fit "most" aftermarket carriers

LONG-ROD
02-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I dd take out 2 bearings maybe thick then 1/2 inch but deffitly not 1 inch, the carrier has a lip on each side for the outer race to hit and the crush tube fits perfect on the center races. when I got it all togather the rotor hub goes in to far into the carrier and it hits I can nnot tell haow much further it will go in. so the what ever bearrings it takes they need to be wider then stock no doubt about that I tought dual row was to seperate bearings on each side not one dual row bearing, I am guessing myhain allignment would beoff to, can some one post a link to the wider bearings, I will check out the commpressor bearings at napa I would guess it is a leagers carrier everything else is. thanks guys for the replies

LONG-ROD
02-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh and I put the carrier in the oven on 285 for 2 hours and thebearings in the freezer for the same and was no easy task to get them in, so itwill be alotof fun trying to get them out

Aceman
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Nothing more to add to what has already been said but it just makes a guy wonder why you didn't hold the new bearings up against the old ones to make sure they were the same size first?

I don't get it...:ermm:

j2c#5
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
thats because the ones that were takin out were lost between recieving the new ones!

LONG-ROD
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
So there is only diffrent types of bearings that can go in a carrier? Aceman, your brilliant !! ya they where lost. and I was told that if there is only one on each side that they would be stock, so back to my question, is a dual row bearing a single bearing?

EXtreme-
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
you're making this difficult and it doesn't have to be :mad:

stock bearings are about 3/8ths wide and dbl row ones are about 5/8's wide.....a huge difference.

dbl row bearings is one big bearing, only wider.....not two bearings slammed together.

go to napa and do what I told you....you're beating a dead horse.

05LSR250R
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Not to throw fuel on a fire! I have seen dual row carriers that have two stock brgs. slammed together. If this guy would have posted pics in the first place we wouldn't be sittin here beating a dead horse! Another thing, never throw parts out before you have received the new ones!

LONG-ROD
02-27-2009, 05:14 AM
thanks exstream best advise yet