PDA

View Full Version : CFM Performance Air Box

Live2Ride300
12-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Check out this aluminum air box, its made by CFM Performance. It houses the battery and some of the electrics, and it has a lid also. It costs 200.00 on ebay. My question is, it looks like there isnt a whole lot of dead air space around the air filter, does this sacrifice performance?

DEAL
12-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Shouldn't really, the snorkel pushes air around the bottom of the filter.

2k2-300exnj
12-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Shouldn't really, the snorkel pushes air around the bottom of the filter.
can u explain that to me i never really understood how that works

Live2Ride300
12-25-2002, 09:58 PM
What about with the lid on the box? Would it sacrifice performance? Would it be about the same as a stock box? Thanx

OutlawEX
12-26-2002, 01:28 AM
I would buy it...I used their airbox before i started building my YZF thumper,and i would take their airbox over any other company any day

Live2Ride300
12-26-2002, 07:56 AM
Did you use the lid with it?

DESDAK4
12-26-2002, 08:23 AM
I just got done installing mine and I am using the lid because it is jsut to dusty up here. I don't think the power loss is even close to enought to pass up the protection of the lid I mean you are talking about such a small amount of power. I did find the K&N filter to be a bit of a pain to put in so I switched to a foam filter which fits in much better.

Jay
USAF

OutlawEX
12-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
Did you use the lid with it?

No Lid

Live2Ride300
12-26-2002, 12:48 PM
For where I ride I think I might need a lid, its a mix of everything around here. One of these air boxes polished or powdercoated would look pretty badarse

UglyMotha™
12-26-2002, 02:26 PM
to me it looks as if you would have to remove all the **** just to get the stinking filter out:huh

DESDAK4
12-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Not if you use a foam filter but if you use a K&N you will have to take some out to get the filter out.

Jay
USAF

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Not havin the air space around your filter will GREATLY reduce the performance of your machine.Your carb needs an amount of air matching the CFM drawn by it.You put your lid on that small box and its like puttin on the choke.

Live2Ride300
12-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SmokinJoe@PJR
Not havin the air space around your filter will GREATLY reduce the performance of your machine.Your carb needs an amount of air matching the CFM drawn by it.You put your lid on that small box and its like puttin on the choke.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. This set up is probably best used with the lid off huh?

CFM Performance
12-26-2002, 10:15 PM

SmokinJoe@PJR, have you done some performance testing on our airbox that I'm not aware of? How else could you make a negative statement like that, unless you're just using your own biased opinions to discredit our products and promote your own. It seems as though anytime the word "Airbox" appears in this forum, you see it as an opportunity to hype your design and discredit ours. If you make the best airbox on the market, good for you. If it's the best because you say so, well, that's just more opinion.

We built this airbox because people asked us to. Just like everything else it has its advantages and disadvantages. We build three styles of airboxes for the 400EX because different people want or need different features to suit the type of riding they do most.

In response to the question, the air is drawn in through the stock Honda intake snorkel. That is the restriction in this design. It is not the size of the box, the space around the filter, the fact that the battery is in the airbox, etc. With the lid on it, airflow is similar to the stock airbox with the lid in place. With the lid removed, our test bike, (CT440EX Hi-Output package), showed the same dyno results as with any other intake setup we tried.

Thanks Jay & OutlawEX

DESDAK4
12-27-2002, 06:19 AM
No problem I love my box.

Jay

Live2Ride300
12-27-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by CFM Performance

SmokinJoe@PJR, have you done some performance testing on our airbox that I'm not aware of? How else could you make a negative statement like that, unless you're just using your own biased opinions to discredit our products and promote your own. It seems as though anytime the word "Airbox" appears in this forum, you see it as an opportunity to hype your design and discredit ours. If you make the best airbox on the market, good for you. If it's the best because you say so, well, that's just more opinion.

We built this airbox because people asked us to. Just like everything else it has its advantages and disadvantages. We build three styles of airboxes for the 400EX because different people want or need different features to suit the type of riding they do most.

In response to the question, the air is drawn in through the stock Honda intake snorkel. That is the restriction in this design. It is not the size of the box, the space around the filter, the fact that the battery is in the airbox, etc. With the lid on it, airflow is similar to the stock airbox with the lid in place. With the lid removed, our test bike, (CT440EX Hi-Output package), showed the same dyno results as with any other intake setup we tried.

Thanks Jay & OutlawEX
Thanx for the info CFM Performance,
BTW, Have you done any testing on a stock 400ex with the stock air box with lid, and the CFM box with lid? To see what if they are the same on the dyno? Thanx for the info

What does CFM stand for?

jaime_honda
12-27-2002, 04:25 PM
Hey, I bought a aluminum air box, But I did not buy the CFM, instead I bought the Priggys air box and oversized oil tank. The air box works great, I just added a outerwear to the air box. Plus I cut off the battery mount tabs, well just look at the picture.

Live2Ride300
12-27-2002, 04:26 PM
That looks really nice, I like the way it looks without the mounting tabs, it looks very clean.

jaime_honda
12-27-2002, 07:02 PM
Hey, if you want to know how to do it. well to take a hard disc grinder and start grinding in to the tabs. This will go fast. Then take a grinder with a 80 grit sanding disc and sand in down to the frame. You will then need the old elbow grease to finish all of the sanding. I sanded the whole subframe and then spray painted it and then put a few clear coat over the top of it. I also like the new look. But I am in the process of building an aluminum suframe. I wanted to be albe to add a grad bar. I am alos making a aluminum frame. I am about half done with that. Boy I tell you it is a lot of work, but well worth it. :blah

Live2Ride300
12-27-2002, 09:03 PM
Thats sounds easy enough to do. Are you making the frame from scratch?

jaime_honda
12-27-2002, 10:47 PM
Hey, I am making the suframe and frame out of brand new pieces of aluminum. The subframe is going to be 5/8 round aluminum tubbing. It is really strong, it should hold up good.:blah

OutlawEX
12-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Hey Live2ride,

If u are gonna get an airbox get the CFM..They back their stuff up 100%..I had a problem which was my fought and i think Neal at CFM fxed it for free,no questions asked..I know for sure they wouldnt make a box and run it on their own quads if they didnt perform good...He!! Neal at CFM said he would even help me build a custom oil rezzy for my YZF conversion..Just so show how they go the extra mile

razca
12-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Has anyone else experienced problems with the CFM airbox breaking down in MX racing? There was some mention of this a while back and I was just wondering if the problem had been fixed? I believe that the problem was related to the fact that the battery was mounted in the box.

Thanks
Chris

Live2Ride300
12-28-2002, 08:11 PM
Sounds like they have great service. I know where to get an aluminum air box from now. Thanx guys

CFM Performance
12-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by razca
Has anyone else experienced problems with the CFM airbox breaking down in MX racing? There was some mention of this a while back and I was just wondering if the problem had been fixed? I believe that the problem was related to the fact that the battery was mounted in the box.

I have not had an airbox come back for warranty repair in the year and a half we have been building them Chris. I heard mention of someones airbox failing, but never heard who the manufaturer was.

OutlawEX
12-29-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by razca

Thanks
Chris

I do nothing but MX and have not had one problem witht the CFM...He11 the airbox is prolly the best looking and most durable thing on my quad

Also same goes for their tie rods...They are freaking strong

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-29-2002, 05:29 PM
CFM performance I did not test your box cause your design does not compare performance wise with mine. I show up in this forum cause people in here need good parts for their machines.At $200 for your boxit doesnt do as much as it should performance wise. Why still use the air tube and no lid? Why no lid at all,can this set up run in slick EASTERN race conditions. Why electrics so close to a gasoline source? I dont design my performance parts to compare to others we are racers and I listen to what my racers need in performance. Lets leave it at that

Live2Ride300
12-29-2002, 05:48 PM
SmokinJoe can you put the battery and everything in ur air box? Post some pics of urs.

OutlawEX
12-29-2002, 10:27 PM
CFM performance I did not test your box cause your design does not compare performance wise with mine. I show up in this forum cause people in here need good parts for their machines.At $200 for your boxit doesnt do as much as it should performance wise. Why still use the air tube and no lid? Why no lid at all,can this set up run in slick EASTERN race conditions. Why electrics so close to a gasoline source? I dont design my performance parts to compare to others we are racers and I listen to what my racers need in performance. Lets leave it at that

No flame intened but CFM's box compares to the best of the best..I never heard of ur box so its not saying much...And id say that the CFM airbox was worth every penny,the craftsman ship and also how they back their products up..I hope this clarify's something:rolleyes:

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-29-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX

No flame intened but CFM's box compares to the best of the best..I never heard of ur box so its not saying much...And id say that the CFM airbox was worth every penny,the craftsman ship and also how they back their products up..I hope this clarify's something:rolleyes:

I agree...CFM makes excellant products :D

DESDAK4
12-29-2002, 10:58 PM
As I said before the CFM box is awsome and if yours is so good please tell me who are you and what is the name of your company because in all my research I have never heard of you.

Thanks,
Jay
USAF

Extremeracer167
12-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Did you ever hear of CFM Performance within the 1st 2 months they were getting started..........prob. not. I am one of the PJR Test riders. Ive had the airbox on at the last 3 local hairscrambles, and got 2 seconds and 1 1st in the Quad A class. And only got 2nd to Frank Grimplin the Open A GNCC champ, who just so happens to run the PJR Airbox as well. So b4 u guys want to start picking on the little guy because hes just opening up a business, just remember that CFM wasnt alwways so big. Ive personally seen 2 CFM airboxes snap off one mounting tab. ANd i honestly didnt see what was so great that they charge $200, and u gain NO performance at all. I Run a K&N Filter, as im sure most of you do. I know when i get a box, especially one that i pay alot of money for, it should be less maintenance and show some performance gains. Not be more maintenance, and no performance gains. Think about it.

02 Red Rider
12-30-2002, 08:49 AM

Are you kidding me? I live in Northwest Ohio and ride in PA, OH, IN, and WV. I ride in Mud, Snow, Rain, Dust, Hot, Cold. I raced Highpoint GNCC last year and will be racing more this year. Until I got my CFM I was running a stock airbox with no lid, K&N/w Outerwears. I have NEVER had a problem running with no lid and as best I can tell your "Airbox" is pretty much a stock airbox with a filtered lid. I guarantee you that CFM, Pingy, UM, and countless others with a similar product sell 10 times the quantity of product to riders and racers. Which tells me that maybe they have what we want.

I am very happy with the quality and price of my CFM Airbox.

Jason

Extremeracer167
12-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 02 Red Rider

Are you kidding me? I live in Northwest Ohio and ride in PA, OH, IN, and WV. I ride in Mud, Snow, Rain, Dust, Hot, Cold. I raced Highpoint GNCC last year and will be racing more this year. Until I got my CFM I was running a stock airbox with no lid, K&N/w Outerwears. I have NEVER had a problem running with no lid and as best I can tell your "Airbox" is pretty much a stock airbox with a filtered lid. I guarantee you that CFM, Pingy, UM, and countless others with a similar product sell 10 times the quantity of product to riders and racers. Which tells me that maybe they have what we want.

I am very happy with the quality and price of my CFM Airbox.

Jason

Like i said, give it some time. You will soon see that this is NOT a stock replacement airbox. ANd obviously u are talking about a product that u have NEVER seen b4. I dont know how u come up with saying that it looks like a stock box but with a filter on the lid. I mean no flames towards any company, and i will not start a petty argument with anyone. But in the last 3 races, 2 of them were prob. the muddiest races ive ever raced in. And no problems. I did have to go up 2 main jet sizes when i put this box on. Which is the same as i did with my stock box when i took the lid off. Now lets seeee......get the same performance with a lid, or get the same performacen without a lid. I think ide rather have the extra protection with the lid.

RytM1
12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
....I am one of the PJR Test riders. Ive had the airbox on at the last 3 local hairscrambles, and got 2 seconds and 1 1st in the Quad A class. And only got 2nd to Frank Grimplin the Open A GNCC champ, who just so happens to run the PJR Airbox as well. ...
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? So are you saying that running the PJR airbox compared to any others, will help you win races? I doubt it! I recently purchased a CFM, and it was because of comments like that, that convinced me.

Live2Ride300
12-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Comon post some pics of the PJR air box so we can compare them.

2k2-300exnj
12-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by RytM1

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? So are you saying that running the PJR airbox compared to any others, will help you win races? I doubt it! I recently purchased a CFM, and it was because of comments like that, that convinced me.
not trying to flame or get in the middle of this but i dont see where u are coming from, so u would buy a dg exhaust just because everyone says they are no good?
please explain i dont seem to understand what u mean by that

RytM1
12-30-2002, 08:50 PM
No, I wouldn't buy an item because everyone says they are no good. This site is an excellent place to shop for answers to what really works and what doesn't. For someone who wants to support the claim that their product is better than someone elses, give some real facts or tech data, etc., to show this. The claim that since he has had the airbox on and won a couple races, and placed second (coulda been a two man race for all I know, which means he finshed last) behind a guy who was also using that airbox is nothing more to me than mere coincidence. Like Live2Ride said, LET'S SEE SOME PICS. SHOW US THE COLD, HARD FACTS that support the claim that this airbox is the sh*t, and so much better than CFM's. I can understand someone trying to market their products and get the word out, and if thats the case, this thing has gotten out of hand.

I know I have had my speed-reading moments, and have learned to take my time and read what is written. SmokinJoe is trying to make CFM look like they are not credible by asking why CFM would still run a stock snorkle with no lid. I don't recall seeing anywhere that CFM was doing that (although they do make 3 different models). In the original post, Live2Ride said that that box also came with a lid. As to SmokinJoe's claim that the electrical components were closer to a gas source, how much closer are they, really? IMHO, having the battery, etc. in an area that is more secure, and better protected from the "elements" is better than having it mounted on the side of the subframe where things are more likely to get knocked loose, causing who knows what kind of havoc.

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 09:12 AM
What kinda "technical facts" do u want me to show. We do not have access to a dyno right now. I can tell you that, by bolting on the PJR Airbox i had to go up 2 sizes on the main jet. Now from what i recolect about how a cumbustion engine works.....more airflow and supplying the engine with a sufficiant amount of fuel=more power. Now i could say that by bolting the airbox on was like riding a whole new quad. Cuase it wasnt. Im not here to lie. But i will tell you that you WILL notice a differance in power with this box.......if you can jet properly. ANd that is WITH the lid ON. I dont know about you, but i will never trust running an open airbox while racing XC. Its just asking for trouble. Especially with a K&N Filter.

As for the race that could only have 2 racers in it. The 1st race i placed 1st out of 12. The second i placed 2nd out of 9 at a D5 State Champ. race. And the 3rd race i placed 2nd out of 7. two of the races were COMPLETE mudfests. And the ppl that saw our box while displaying them all said the same thing.........He'll suck in water. Needless to say........I didnt. The box has sharp looks, and performs EXCELLANT! Ben will be puting a Review up on the airbox. And if u want pics of the box, do a search for the PJR Airbox. I had a post before with pics on it.

Bean
12-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
Did you ever hear of CFM Performance within the 1st 2 months they were getting started..........prob. not. I am one of the PJR Test riders. Ive had the airbox on at the last 3 local hairscrambles, and got 2 seconds and 1 1st in the Quad A class. And only got 2nd to Frank Grimplin the Open A GNCC champ, who just so happens to run the PJR Airbox as well. So b4 u guys want to start picking on the little guy because hes just opening up a business, just remember that CFM wasnt alwways so big. Ive personally seen 2 CFM airboxes snap off one mounting tab. ANd i honestly didnt see what was so great that they charge $200, and u gain NO performance at all. I Run a K&N Filter, as im sure most of you do. I know when i get a box, especially one that i pay alot of money for, it should be less maintenance and show some performance gains. Not be more maintenance, and no performance gains. Think about it.

did the airbox make you proform this well in the races?

MSL
12-31-2002, 09:58 AM
so how much does this PJR box cost?

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Im stating the places i got, becasue ppl thought the box was a fluke. And i finished successfully the past 3 races with it. This track is a VERY ROUGH track, and thats where i test alot of parts. And yes, i really think he helped me perform well. I have 100% confidence in Joe and anything he makes, so i knew i wasnt going to have a problem with the box.

THe box sells for 140 with lid and hardware

MSL
12-31-2002, 10:28 AM
not a bad price expecially if the box is all you say it is.

be nice and post a pic.

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 10:46 AM
heres the link to the other post, instead of posting more pics and takin up space on the site

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32697&highlight=Airbox

12-31-2002, 11:52 AM
I had a nice pimp daddy aluminum box on mine for about a year,,after it exploded from racing MX and XC it now hangs in my garage and I have the stocker unit back on..I'd like to see some pics of these others..

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 12:03 PM
u guys will get to see more pics as soon as Ben does the Review. We sent him the box, just waiting till he has time.

OutlawEX
12-31-2002, 12:05 PM
After reviewing the PJR ,ya its a nice box..But not as nice as the CFM's set up...Most ppl will pay at least 140 for a airbox and they want the battery to be inside along with the non atractive wireing..Many people want to get the ugly battery hidden so they buy a box that hides all that mess...I know u guys say its a performance box but y not take that 140 and go buy some motor mods..U can always use ur stock airbox for performance mods i know u can get a cam for 130,Rev box for 100,pistion for 130,a used aftermarket silncer for around 150....Id rather take 140 dollars and buy a box with a battery holder....But ur's is a "performance" box...Just add about another 100 to ur 140 for ur box and u got a port job which im sure will blow ur performace peak with the PJR box...Im just guessing i dont know..But the CFM still is uncomparible...CFM still has 100% of my love:devil

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 12:11 PM
differant strokes for differant folks

MSL
12-31-2002, 12:11 PM
now i remember it.
looks good, but it doesnt offer a place for your battery.

Extremeracer167
12-31-2002, 12:33 PM
nope, cause the battery disturbes airflow and loses performance. And most boxes that have the battery inside, u have to remove the battery to clean the K&N filter. Just hassle to me.

Live2Ride300
12-31-2002, 03:41 PM
It looks to me like the CFM and PJR are really good boxes. They should be classified into two different kinds of boxes tho. Its obvious the PJR is more intended for performance, while the CFM is intended for hiding the battery, electronics and to give the quad that clean look, and still perform better then stock. So the PJR is a performance oriented box, while the CFM is more a cosmetic/performance box. Happy New Year everyone!!!!! the screen is all blurrrrryyy

OutlawEX
12-31-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
It looks to me like the CFM and PJR are really good boxes. They should be classified into two different kinds of boxes tho. Its obvious the PJR is more intended for performance, while the CFM is intended for hiding the battery, electronics and to give the quad that clean look, and still perform better then stock. So the PJR is a performance oriented box, while the CFM is more a cosmetic/performance box. Happy New Year everyone!!!!! the screen is all blurrrrryyy

Ur somewhat right,but the CFM also gives a boost of performance...Look at it this way picture CFM as roll design a-arms it gives the quad a sweet look and also a great perfromance up grade..The PJR will give just as much perofrmance as a stock modified airbox would im sure

Live2Ride300
12-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX

Ur somewhat right,but the CFM also gives a boost of performance...Look at it this way picture CFM as roll design a-arms it gives the quad a sweet look and also a great perfromance up grade..The PJR will give just as much perofrmance as a stock modified airbox would im sure

You are right

400exnVa
12-31-2002, 06:21 PM
All I can say is I have a cfm box and i love it. The workmanship alone sets it apart from any others out there! (in my opionon) When I rejetted I went up 2 jets and a felt a gain in bottom end power. If a lid is such a problem you can take ur stock one cut 2 notches in the sides for the bracing on the box and you can still use it. The seat actually will hold it down. I'm not saying its completely water tight but at least it keeps water directly off your filter and it still allows air to circulate around the battery. The only thing that bugs me is its a little hard to get the K&N filter out but its doable. Thats just my .2 cents

bmw500hp
12-31-2002, 09:54 PM
bmp

OutlawEX
01-01-2003, 12:38 PM
CFM is the best..............Nuff Said:D

SmokinJoe@PJR
01-01-2003, 02:07 PM
aLOT OF YOU HAVE SOME PRETTY INTERESTING OUTLOOKS ON THE AIR BOXES AVAILABLE TO YOU.I didnt start this little shop of mine to be able to say that my designs are the best out there,but to give myself and the people I race with as many advantages as possible.All of my REASEARCH as you guys put it was done on paper first figuring out what kind of air and performance characteristics were needed to help these things run better.I had the chance to put my hands on a CFM box to gather some data to compare to mine and went from there.YOU CANNOT compare the 2 boxes to each other cause they have COMPLETELY differant airflow ideas. Some of the coments in here were rite on the head about MY design but the people that want to rip on me, keep in mind I make my racers that I personaly sponsor with FREE airboxes,put my logo on the back of the boxes so the they are beatin' con read the name(haha).We all know that racingXC in 20% bike and 125% rider. I just like having or team with the best stuff out there. I am currently workin on the GENERATION 2 PJR"XC" air box,this design takes what I liked in the currant production model and adds a whole new meaning to the phrase AIRFLOW while still stayin within the rules.......later

bakerboyz
01-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Nice Mod. Hope it did'nt cost you too much. For only $20 you can have a great shirt and support this site.

http://www.masondixonracing.com/customer/home.php

Live2Ride300
01-02-2003, 05:45 AM
Smokinjoe, got any pics or drawings/schematics of gen 2?

phatswinn
01-02-2003, 03:28 PM
and when is the 300ex model gunna be done so i can buy it PJR?