PDA

View Full Version : broken gear - lh crankcase broken

JohnBeton
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Hello guys,

I just bought a basket case '86 ATC250r for almost no money.
It had one of the transmission gears brake in 2 pieces and damage the left crankcase. I have a good set of crankcases, but like to keep them spare for my trx.

Now my question is actually if this crankcase is still usable, there is a piece knocked out of the case, but what is the use of it ?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6156/cimg2530.jpg

Ow yeah, anyway I'm going to replace all the bearings because they are fubar becaus of all the little pieces of metal.

Thanks
Jan

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Wont look to good, but you could use it.
That piece busted out is just a filler over top of that cavity. Will make the trans hold more oil.
Clean & smooth out that center case gasket surface so you get a complete seal of the gasket in that broken area.
Neil

JohnBeton
02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
so I can probably use it like this after cleaning ?
Should I add more engine oil then ?

Or it it best to have it welded ?

jcs003
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
mill out the rest of that section to prevent it from crumbling when the bottom end is sealed.

Honda 250r 001
03-01-2009, 08:40 AM
that would catch trannsmission metal befoer it gets back to to your tranny and bearings also. i would not use it like that. but im sure it would work.

JohnBeton
03-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I have another spare set of cases, but there the chain knocked a piece out of the shaft where the shiftshaft goes.
I think I'm going to fix that set and use it. I still have the piece that is broken off.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Only thing you need to be conserned about, if using that case half over again, would be that you have all the broken fragment of aluminum cleaned out of those bearings, if the case is warpped any at all or if it has cracks you cant see from those busted gear pieces thrashing all around.

The normal thing to do when something like this happens, is to replace it with a new part, but sometimes not having the money wont permit that. Then, you got to do the best you can with what you have.
Just be sure to remember, if you ever sell the thing, to let the buyer know up front it has damage rather than letting them think its all new.
Neil