PDA

View Full Version : tranny is clicking

kawiracerj
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
can anybody tell me why my transmission is clicking ? it only does it in third gear. thanks

ADTR14
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
In my experience this means one thing. You knocked a few teeth off of 3rd gear. You will need to split the cases and replace it. But first drain your oil and check for any metal flakes/pieces in the oil or drain plug to confirm.

kawiracerj
02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
thanks,thats sucks,but thanks!

kawiracerj
03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
i was riding again this morning and noticed the clicking noise goes away when im rolling and i pull the clutch in.if it was in the transmisssion wouldnt it keep making the noise?only does in third gear but quits as soon as i pull in the clutch.can some please help? i cant afford to split the cases.could it be in the clutch basket? i ask cause im getting some clutch slippage.

ADTR14
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kawiracerj
i was riding again this morning and noticed the clicking noise goes away when im rolling and i pull the clutch in.if it was in the transmisssion wouldnt it keep making the noise?only does in third gear but quits as soon as i pull in the clutch.can some please help? i cant afford to split the cases.could it be in the clutch basket? i ask cause im getting some clutch slippage.

Did you check your oil for metal flakes/pieces? I've done this twice and had all the same symptoms yours does. I hate to tell you that but im nearly 100% sure there are a few teeth knocked off third drive gear and third driven gear.

Both times i fixed it myself just using a shop manual. it cost me around $300 i think for new gears (drive and driven), new gaskets, oil, sealants ect.

If you want to do it yourself give me your email and i will help you as best i can and go into more detail of what you will need.

kawiracerj
03-06-2009, 10:04 PM
checked oil.absolutely no shavings.im not an expert on kfx 400 but i have rebuilt a nfew and even done a few trans jobs(on ltz and kfx). last year i broke 2nd gear and i totally replaced every peice,and its been fine till now,almost a year later.im not sayin its not in tranny but it really seems like something else.ill get into it more tom. and ill post what i find.thanks for your help.