PDA

View Full Version : speakin of WB CDI's

11-15-2001, 12:44 PM
Does anyone that has this in a cold part of the states have a hard time getting their bike to start when it's cold???

86atc250r
11-15-2001, 01:54 PM
Yes, if it cranks over slow at all, it won't fire...

Been there, done that...

11-15-2001, 02:05 PM
Mine doesn't seem to crank over slow,,,it acts like it wants to fire up but just won't. Now once I push start it and it gets warmed up it will start with no problems,,,but like I mentioned before in another post,,,me and a buddy swapped some parts trying to find out a problem with his and it's been doin it ever since,,but it could be coincidental also...I'm puttin the stocker CDI in tonight and will find out,,,if it still doesn't wanna turn over I guess me and my buddy get to go back over everything we touched before and see if we can find something.

86atc250r
11-15-2001, 02:13 PM
It doesn't take much, the WB CDI is simply an XR250R CDI

This CDI has "anti-kickback" programming so that if the engine spins over too slow, it makes it less likely to kick back and break your foot.

However, this causes a problem when installed on the 400EX, the RPM at which it won't produce a spark is very close to normal cranking speed. If it's even a cranking a tad slower, it won't fire.

It will, however, roll start right up - it will also fire right up if you put on the stock CDI.

11-15-2001, 02:16 PM
You da man Gabe.............:D :D :D

knighttime
11-15-2001, 02:37 PM
Anyone want to buy a WB rev box?:(

11-15-2001, 02:39 PM
Now knighttime shouldn't you be postin that in the classifieds...:D J/K had ta give ya some crap.,,,did ya get the email and sent and get your mouse cursors all fixed up??

WB400ex
11-15-2001, 05:05 PM
it depends how much

Glamis400ex
11-15-2001, 07:55 PM
I too had the WB CDI on my 400ex. I live in sunny San Diego, Ca. and it was hard to start for me even. I got in touch with Duncan Racing and Lenny told me to take it off. The 400ex simply quits making HP at 8K. Plain and simple. Duncan doesn't put em on their bikes so I took mine off as well. What good is it to have the motor turning faster when it wont make any more HP? (i can see the flames coming from here:))

I've ridden with the stocker a few times now and notice no difference. Bike starts WAY easier now.

just my 2 cents.....

Glamis400ex

crday98
11-15-2001, 11:28 PM
with only a pipe and k&n,i installed the rev kit and it made mine a little more snappier.i have the cold starts problem with the WB.it seems like it is cranking fast enough but it is not.if i jump it or put the stock one back on,it fires right up.i'm going to start carrying my stock rev box on the trail in the winter though.

11-19-2001, 06:59 AM
Well I put my stocker back on and my bike started turning over with no problems,,,so I'll be leaving the POS White Bros off,,,for ever.

honda4life
11-20-2001, 12:14 PM
I don't think that it is just WB, I had the same problem w/my Sparks CDI. I tried everything to get that dang thing started and had no luck. It did start if I pulled it though, so I called Sparks to see if they had any ideas and they told me to put the stock back in and see if it starts...it did. I did put the Sparks CDI back in and if it has been sittin and I go to start it, it will just turn over, but if I give it 2 quick full throttle blasts it'll start right up! lol:confused: