PDA

View Full Version : clutch mod????

yamahaman623
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
has anyone heard of a yfz clutch mod. im not talking about changing it from a 9steel plate to an 8 steel plate. im talking about removing a ring or washer to make it grip better

daddio
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes.......... You take out the thinner friction plate, along with the steel washer and conical spring (the first 3 things that go in the clutch pack) and replace it with 1 regular friction plate. So you now run 8 of the same frictions.

mxpimp2000
02-26-2009, 07:39 PM
ive never heard of this before and ive changed fibers since it was new because they started to slip a little, someone fill me in on this mod, what the pros and cons

yamahaman623
02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
go one yfzcentral and look it up they have an explanation and a diagram with what to do. it really helped me out

GWTT
03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
i run the yzf450 clutches (9) and plates (8) out of an 2006 yzf450 along with the clutch springs. made the clutch slightly stiffer but it doesnt slip in any conditions like the stock clutch did. From climbing dunes in Glamis to WORCS races it puts the power down!

MAaudioX10
03-21-2009, 01:51 PM
It's about an $8 mod. Takes 15 minutes of your time and, will help out a bit. Will it cure all the woohs of a stock clutch? No, but...if your quad is built, it'll help.

From what I understand, the YZ clutch setup is the hot ticket.

I'm tryin out the "YFZ mod" first, being its $8. If I get some slippage....I'll invest in the YZ clutch setup.

GWTT
03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by MAaudioX10
It's about an $8 mod. Takes 15 minutes of your time and, will help out a bit. Will it cure all the woohs of a stock clutch? No, but...if your quad is built, it'll help.

From what I understand, the YZ clutch setup is the hot ticket.

I'm tryin out the "YFZ mod" first, being its $8. If I get some slippage....I'll invest in the YZ clutch setup.

ive never had slippage with my built motor with the YZF450 clutches. the stock engine and stock clutches would slip out in the dunes on hard hill climbs.

MAaudioX10
03-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by GWTT
ive never had slippage with my built motor with the YZF450 clutches. the stock engine and stock clutches would slip out in the dunes on hard hill climbs.

Well, so far, the my modded clutch is holding up fine to my 501. I'd imagine, I'm going to have to replace it more frequently. Once it is time to replace, I'll install the YZ 9 plate clutch setup.

I really don't want to add a lockout being, this is not a dune machine.

daddio
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't think the "YZ 9 plate set up" is the hot ticket any more. Even Yamaha doesn't use 9 plates in the YZ any more. The thinner steel plates necessary to get 9 friction plates in, do not hold up to the heat caused by riding hard.

In 2006, Yamaha came out with the 5TA-16321-00-00 (friction plate) in the YFZ. Then they switched the YZ to using the same 8 frictions and steels that the quad used.

Since we switched to the 8 plate 5TA- set up, we have had zero clutch problems, and the clutches last a long time, even with the abuse of motocross.

I have also helped several other people do the same swap to their YFZ's, with no problems.

All you need to do is ditch the smaller friction plate, conical spring and washer and replace it with one full size plate for a total of 8 plates.