PDA

View Full Version : 250r trail build question

riderssb250x
02-25-2009, 09:11 AM
im building an 86 r trail quad need some advice on engine

im rebuilding the bottom end found a guy who had a never fired r motor with a short rod im getin the whole crank for 215 so that takes care of the bottom end

bored .60 over wiseco pistin its in good shape im puting in new rings and it should be good I got the topend honed and the cylinders in good shape so I don't need a bore or piston

I have a boyseen rad valve with brand new boyseen reeds to go in, also I got a half inch reed spacer

fmf fatty and powercore 2
what do you guys sugest doin to make it a beter trail motor is this setup pretty good?

im not sure what I have for a carb I will check

what should I do for gearing also?

im lookin for advice like should a run a open box or no box and an outerware?

is it woth geting one of thos rpm adjustable timing things I see them on ebay?

what should I be at for jetting!!! that's a big thing im lookin for help with!

is a cr250 gasket gonna help me out?

guys help me out with advice thanks

86 Quad R
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
sounds like your off to a purdy good start but i'd eliminate the reed spacer. if you have the stock carb on there i'd get a 36pj, 36pwk or a 35 a/s to replace it for better all around torque and a few revs. i'd also go with the thin head gasket for added compression. as for gearing i'd run a 14/40 for the trails and i'd also keep the air and run it with the lid removed.

05LSR250R
02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
sounds like your off to a purdy good start but i'd eliminate the reed spacer. if you have the stock carb on there i'd get a 36pj, 36pwk or a 35 a/s to replace it for better all around torque and a few revs. i'd also go with the thin head gasket for added compression. as for gearing i'd run a 14/40 for the trails and i'd also keep the air and run it with the lid removed.

Good advice! However you might want to run 13/39 on the sprocket ratio. Thats what I run and its pretty damn good for all around riding. My 2 cents.