PDA

View Full Version : 250r trail build question

riderssb250x
02-25-2009, 08:00 AM
im building an 86 r trail quad need some advice on engine

im rebuilding the bottom end found a guy who had a never fired r motor with a short rod im getin the whole crank for 215 so that takes care of the bottom end

bored .60 over wiseco pistin its in good shape im puting in new rings and it should be good I got the topend honed and the cylinders in good shape so I don't need a bore or piston

I have a boyseen rad valve with brand new boyseen reeds to go in, also I got a half inch reed spacer

fmf fatty and powercore 2
what do you guys sugest doin to make it a beter trail motor is this setup pretty good?

im not sure what I have for a carb I will check

what should I do for gearing also?

im lookin for advice like should a run a open box or no box and an outerware?

is it woth geting one of thos rpm adjustable timing things I see them on ebay?

what should I be at for jetting!!! that's a big thing im lookin for help with!

is a cr250 gasket gonna help me out?

guys help me out with advice thanks

Honda 250r 001
02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
dont run the reed spacer. get that cylinder bottom end ported while its apart. the cr head gasket will kick up your comp a bit which helps, if you get your cylinder ported get a trx 7 pipe but if u keep it stock which is pretty good for bottom end, use the fatty pipe. i have a adjustible timing plate and i could tell a difference in power but i would not suggest runing and advancement on pump fuel. run 100ll aviation fuel.

riderssb250x
02-25-2009, 09:19 AM
why not run the red spacer..?

I want to port and polish but I don't wana buy a new pipe can I get it ported and polished not to crazy and still run my fmf fatty?

Honda 250r 001
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
the reed spacer does not help it just creates turbulence. and the R has plenty of room in the reed/intake chamber anyway compared to other models. you could aggressibly port your cylinder and run the fatty and it would still run fast, but you would get more out of it with a good pipe.

riderssb250x
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
so will the reed spacer make it slower or what? I heard its suposta give you more bottom end?

how much does a cheaper port and polish cost? where's a good place to have it done im not lookin to spend tons of money on it, will I have to rebore it if I port and polish the cylinder?

j2c#5
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
i would run air box w no lid, run the spacer and DO NOT use aviation fuel! if u have high enough compression then run a 50/50 mix w vp 110 and 92 pump gas. other wise the high octane will NOT help at all! i run a 12/38 on my 310 and its works pretty good but a 40 rear would b better for the trails. also u can buy a head w interchangable domes witch will change ur compression depending on the cc of the dome

riderssb250x
02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
will the spacer work with 93 octane'?

j2c#5
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
yes it will work because the spacer does not change ur compression it just changes ur powerband range a little bit. u only need the high octane or race fuel if ur compression is around 14/1 or higher

1promodfan
02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
As far as getting it ported, I recomended C-Leigh Racing. He very reasonable, and one of the best. On the reed spacer, I would try it with it and then try it without it. Every bike & rider is different, so what works for you may not work for me. Depending on how your piston and cylinder looks, if you get it ported you may want to bore it first. O.K. Neil, its time for you to chime in.......