PDA

View Full Version : any hometheater junkies out there

Alberta_Qaudin
02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
ok so here is my issue. i have an lg LCD tv with matching home theater system, when playing dvds recently i am losing the picture but not the sound.....today it started doing the same when playing the 360, but doesn't cut out at all while on sat.

any idea's besides the obvious, playing with cables, cleaning the eye's ect, all of the components are only 2 months old. just trying to not have ot pack them up and take them back

02-25-2009, 07:52 AM
when i went to buy a lcd tv, lg was at the top of my list...the saleman, a personal friend whom i worked with a few years ago...steered me away from them...specifically because i asked about 2 lg models on the floor that were returns at about 40% off the retail...he told me that there were 2 issues with them...the first is that they would turn off for no reason and not turn back on for 10 to 15 minutes and the other was that the pic would go out, again for no reason on some of the inputs, i could not remember which ones...after hearing that, lg was off of my list...

ThreeDollaBills
02-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Yea, my girlfriends parents have an LG tv. I have a Sony. I would definitely prefer the Sony first. I like it a ton better.

TRX_450
02-25-2009, 08:12 AM
your backlight/inverters are going out. chabces are you really arent losing the pic, just the light. next time it does it take a flashlight and hold it up onto the screen then lift one edge slightly and chances are youll be able to see the pic under it. if you really dont have a picture then youre looking at a lengthy repair process and LG's customer support sucks. to be honest with you id take it back and get a new one. i'm a technician and work on these things every day. if you choose to go get it repaired youre looking at a good 2 weeks- a month before youre going to get it back.

Alberta_Qaudin
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
why is it it would do it on only dvd, and running the x box though?? my sat doesnt cut out at all. it also only goes out for like 3-5 second then comes right back on, but the sound remains

TRX_450
02-25-2009, 02:39 PM
ok well you didnt say it came back on, it still could be the backlight though. i have a dell monitor thats acting up on my right now, it seems to only go out whent he lcd actually has to perform. if im just doing some basic tasking the display doesnt have to try very hard, but 15 minutes of playing crysis at highest settings and the backlight goes out. if its coming back on you have a bad connection somewhere and it could possibly be the SSB board. either way with LG's customer service id take it back and ask for a new one.

jetta75
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Home/Car audio tech for 5 years and in home Video tech for little over 2 years now at same shop in St. Louis. If its not cutting out on all 3 I don't think its the back light or inverters. If its cutting out on 2 sources I don't think its the cables or a connection unless they share a cable. Regarless if its in warranty and you can't return it it needs repaired and more than likley not something on your end.
My boss works on LG's in the shop since there Tech Assist. and website is not very helpfull at all. We were an authorized service center when I was an audio only tech and dropped them after a year because of that and warranty reimbursmant problems. We are video authorized for Panasonic, Pioneer Elite, Sharp, Mitsubishi, Marantz, and Runco and I work on all other brands of TV's. If you can take it back I would. You can alway google the model # and symptom. If someone else has had the same problem they will be complaining about it. I do it all the time to save some time before I go on calls if I'm not sure what it is.