PDA

View Full Version : lifter arm moving up and down????come on folks help me.

Dathon Lawler
02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
i first didn't think about it and said my crank was prob. bent. but now i realize i was wording it wrong. i think my main shaft is bent which would cause up and down motion. which i think has been the culprit for my clutch never working a 100%. someone please argue this with me. i have had clutch problems for a few seasons now. it's getting frustrating. i just put on a magura hydraulic clutch to get rid of people arguing with me on how to adjust the clutch.>>>>>i adjust out and i got to much pressure and it creeps real hard. and it's hard to shift. adjust in (just a little)to get rid of those symptoms and the clutch slips under heavy loads. i got aftermarket everything in the clutch area and springs as well. AAAAHHH.

Homerx
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
It could be a bent lifter peice, either way your gonna have to put a dail indicator on it and the crankshaft to make sure.

billyboy93
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
idk maby take it 2 the dealer

lilyamaharacer4
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Bent shift fork will make it very hard to shift

droppedmazda
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
do u have an aftermarket cover? can u hold the lifter shaft down when its runnin?

Dathon Lawler
02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
no i can't hold down the lifter arm. it's coming up and down very forcefully. i put my finger in there while it was running and it has a lot of force up and down.

the Z Man
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Could be wear on the side case that runs the clutch... or the rod that pulls the clutch out.

xcracer416
02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
dont know all the problems you have posted in the past, but one main one you mentioned. Ive put a magura on mine about 2 years ago, a week later i uninstalled it. i had hinson everything/ with the heavy springs. i found out that the magura wouldnt pull the clutch far enough out to release the plates fully. I contacted magura about the problem, and they told me over the phone that the magura was designed to work with non-heavy duty springs.

I installed a new set of factory springs, and that fixed the problem. but i did re-install the cable, i liked to be able to feel the pull.

this tip might not help you out but it worked for me. I still have my magura on the shelf in my shop. and dont ever plan on using it again.

droppedmazda
02-28-2009, 03:10 AM
sounds to me like ur main shaft in ur tranny is bent.

NacsMXer
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by xcracer416
dont know all the problems you have posted in the past, but one main one you mentioned. Ive put a magura on mine about 2 years ago, a week later i uninstalled it. i had hinson everything/ with the heavy springs. i found out that the magura wouldnt pull the clutch far enough out to release the plates fully. I contacted magura about the problem, and they told me over the phone that the magura was designed to work with non-heavy duty springs.

I installed a new set of factory springs, and that fixed the problem. but i did re-install the cable, i liked to be able to feel the pull.

this tip might not help you out but it worked for me. I still have my magura on the shelf in my shop. and dont ever plan on using it again.

I noticed the same thing with my setup about the Magura, I thought I was crazy all this time lol. I too, have a complete Hinson clutch setup but i'm using the Hinson springs too...they're not that heavy duty IMO.

Anyways, I had the clutch adjusted how I liked it for a couple years. Then I found out recently that my clutch was slipping, so I replaced it with a brand new one. Upon closer inspection, it was the Magura that was not allowing the clutch to fully engage, it has been slipping slightly all this time.

It seems to be "in between" with the adjustments...I can never get it just right. If I adjust the slave cylinder out enough so that I get sufficient "pull" and am able to shift smoothly, it pulls the lifter arm forward a tad, thus slipping the clutch. If I adjust the slave cylinder in so that it does not pull on the lifter arm and slip the clutch, the shifting is very notchy/difficult.

Sucks because I really love this Magura, but like you said I guess it's only intended for stock clutch setups :ermm:
Might have to go back to my old cable setup with my tail between my legs :p

Dathon Lawler
03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
nacsmxer thanks for the in depth response. everything you described is what i was going through a long time ago. but i knew my clutch was slipping a little. so THEN i got the magura hoping it would have enough travel. i would hate to have to sell my quad to get rid of the problem but i can't ever get any answers. i have taken it to a dealer one time and he putt around the parking lot blipping the throttle and was like..."no, your clutch is fine."

ha. thanks. so what do i owe you for not helping me. lol.

a few people have responded with different things but some of the repeats are the actual push rod. the one that sits on the clutch center horizontally and goes in the lifter arm. IT'S ALL NEW.

everytime i would disassemble for inspection i wanted to cross something off the list. so i would replace atleast one thing. until everything was new and still nothing.

kind of like what you said "caught in the middle" of adjusting. since writing this i am thinking of possibly adding a washer under the basket. i just thought of it. sooo. i'll have to look to see what that would result in. maybe too close to the housing. it may not be able to disengage very easily.

xcracer416 thanks for the insight. guys like you save us listeners time and money.
unfortunately, i have fallen in love with the clutch. besides that i was having your same problem even when i was running a cable as well. thanks again.

honda400ex2003
03-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Same with my magura. It was nice though with the stock clutch. I had to use the stock mount. Then when I rebuilt it I had the assembly off and hit the lever by accident and blew the seals out of it along with bending the rod inside it. I figured for the price of rebuilding the slave cylinder I might as well get a new cable and a ASV lever. I love it now. It pulls a long ways even with the heavy duty springs. Try letting it off with a pliers to see if it takes all of the pressure off of the arm and the clutcch to see if it is disengaged. Put it on a jack and see if the tires spin. If that does not work something is still bent inside there it may just be out of line enough to get it to not work just right. maybe a spacer or something is in backwards. good luck steve