PDA

View Full Version : best reed valve??

whiteboy84
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
what is the best reed valve that i can run in my R and how hard is it to replace the kick start spring in it??
thanx for ne input

05LSR250R
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I run a Boyesson Rad Valve with a 36mm carb.Like it alot.......nice and snappy. The Kickstarter spring is a snap to fix. If you dont have a manual pick one up.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Boysene Rad Valve, is good for bottom end to midrange output engines.
V Force, is good for upper midrange to drag ouput engines.

FTZ has a modified reed gage, looks just like the Rad Valves except its been opened up on the inside.
ESR, has a reed cage that looks like the V Force cage, but I've never held one in my hands to measure it or anything.

Replacing thats springs not to big of a job. Will need to remove the clutch cover, the clutch though.
Once all the clutch has been removed, you pull the big kicker gear off the kick shaft & then theres two bolts that hold a retainer in place. When those two bolts are removed, just a matter of rotating the kick shaft a little & then pull out just a bit untill it clears the case, then rotate the shaft ccw untill the spring tention is released, pull out completely & replace the spring.
Neil

whiteboy84
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
thanks alot i have to get my new reeds then the kick starter spring which isent the highest on my list and figure out how im gonna fab up a air box cause the R motor is in a x frame

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Hummmm,,, screen names whiteboy & from Durham as well, you by chance have a feeling you by yourself in that area. Thinking & just wondering about that screen name.

Never lived in Durham, but know my way around over there pretty good.
How far you from Triangle Cycles.
Neil

whiteboy84
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
live in rtp but im at triangle atleast once a week ive had the name whiteboy since my freshman year in high school

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by whiteboy84
live in rtp but im at triangle atleast once a week ive had the name whiteboy since my freshman year in high school

Knowing Durham like I do, I would suppose you didnt come up with that nicname yourself, right.

Have a son thats the Comfort Inn manager over at I-40 50/54 highway exit.
He raced for the team a bunch of years untill other things got more important to him, hes still my boy though & I cant throw him away cause of that.
Ever down that way, stop in. You wont miss him cause hes a hoot, I guess he gets that from his daddy.
Neil

whiteboy84
02-25-2009, 11:03 AM
is there ne trails out yer way cause we r startin to run out of places to ride the ones we r riding now r starting to get old

C-LEIGH RACING
02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
You been to Busco, down around Goldsboro or NCMP north of Louisburg.
NCMP is 250 acers, has 2 mx track & around 10 miles of trails.
Neil

whiteboy84
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
yea we go to busco rite often but i havent tried the other one yet ill deffently check them out cause louisburg isent too far from creedmoor i dont think or its closer than goldsboro

Fear250r
02-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Sorry to get back on the subject boys, but has anyone used the reed cage from 1Dir racing? According to the website, it flows a ton more air and the what not. So, anyone have any experience with it compared to other cages? I'm looking to replace my old VF2.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
Sorry to get back on the subject boys, but has anyone used the reed cage from 1Dir racing? According to the website, it flows a ton more air and the what not. So, anyone have any experience with it compared to other cages? I'm looking to replace my old VF2.

Well, been awhile since I heard anything from you :p , how you liking SNOW :D :D

I keep a close check on the weather channel & looked like that part of the country was getting it pretty hard.

Good while back a guy came in & had one of those cages. Thats a big cage & it will fill the reed camber on a 250R cylinder completely.

After looking at it closely, it looks like a Mossnberger cage copy its so close.
I've got no dought it would flow more, but you need to have everything else right on the engine for it to work proper.
For drag, WOT, I could see it working.
Neil

Fear250r
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
To be honest Neil, I'm sick of the white stuff. We got a ton of it this year. It's pretty much gone around here now and I'm ready to get this motor fixed. Up north just got it pretty good, but we didn't see a thing around here.

I've got your Ultra Mid port, am I better off running the Rad valve? That's what I was planning on switching to, but then I saw the Dir valve and figured I'd ask.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Yes, that Rad Valve will go along with your cylinder real well.

Only thing I might would change, if you get a used one & the reeds need replacing, get a set of the #RL-19 petals instead of the high priced carbon fiber set. Those RL-19 fiberglass petals are softer & will respond better lower rpms

With your cylinder, unless you were going to drag race all the time & have a big bore carb clamped on, that would be the only time I would use the 1 DIR cage.
If the 1 DIR had a stuffer inside, just a little bit bigger than the bore of a 38 or 39mm carb, I could see it working ok.
Neil

Fear250r
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I tend to do a mix of trail riding and pit riding. Are the fiberglass petals good for both or would carbon fibers be better for the pit? I'm just trying to figure out which ones to order. Like I said, it's kinda 50/50 pit and trail riding time. Thanks

86 Quad R
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
the rad with the rl-19's will be fine for either riding.