PDA

View Full Version : CANNONDALE question

RTJ
02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I HAVE BECAME VERY FASCINATED WITH THE DALES OVER THE LAST YEAR OR SO. I HAVE PICKED UP ALOT OF INFORMATION HERE AND OTHER PLACES.STILL DONT KNOW A WHOKE LOT ABOUT THEM. I AM OLDER AND MORE OR LESS WANT ONE TO PUT UP AND KEEP AND MAYBE TRAIL RIDE A LITTLE. IN YOUR GUYS OPINION WHICH YEAR, MODEL WOULD BE BEST FOR ME AS FAR AS DEPENDABILITY, EAISER TO WORK ON, AVAILIBILTY OF PARTS etc, etc

thanks for any and all opions and help

svahle
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
You'd be much better off asking this question at cannondaleriders.com.

But, it really doesn't matter what year you get or what model. The primary differences are in suspension, width, and mapping, all of which you can change. The core elements are all the same (frame, motor, tranny, etc. etc.). If you are gonna trail ride, I'd look for a Blaze. Narrower version but with long-travel Ohlins suspension and some other nicer accessories. But you could also get a cannible or speed and built it the way you want. You'll also want to research the needed updates. Again, go to the forum I mentioned above and spend some time looking around. The parts are out there if you know where to look.

RTJ
02-26-2009, 11:55 PM
thanks for point me in the right direction

2muchquad
03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
its true,year doesnt matter,all yrs will require the updated crank which consists of a z400 bearing on the big end of rod.Im waiting for my crank now as we speak.Theres all kinds of little tech tips and updates but not all are mandatory,only the z400 is really a must do.The moto was set up for mx so its wider than the other ones.I bought mine recently and i tore it down once i got it home to do the crank.Oh these bikes rip:eek2:

foster0001
03-18-2009, 06:26 PM
where do you find the updated crank and why do you need to update it??? jus curious i jus bout a cdale!
any other updates you know of?
thanks

2muchquad
03-19-2009, 03:05 AM
the stock cranks had inferior rod bearings,so the z400 is a must.go to cannondalers you will find a plethora of info.Parts are on there as well.These bikes arent for everybody so good luck.:eek2:

m_mcgranahan
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi,

He is right about the updated rob/crank bearing is a must do. We have also found that magnets around the motor to keep any metal shavings form hurting things in the motor.
If you do your reasearch and learn about them, they can be a blast to ride, but just study up before you jump

God bless...

Mark

Ps the biggest differece is the ecu. Some of the 2001 models had the mc500 ecu and the later models came with the mc1000 ecu. The MC 1000 ecu allows you to use a computer and D&M software to check sensors, remap fuel flow rate, check engine parameters etc. I don't think the mc500 is nearly as flexible and adjustable as the mc1000, I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

2muchquad
04-29-2009, 06:35 AM
the 500 series computer isnt as flexible but it can be adjusted plus or minus %10 as far as fuel setting parameters.There are no variable 'maps" though.but from word of mouth they do start faster,as least my fx400 starts pretty quick unless its downright freezing out.

thedeatons
06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Blaze = Standard travel triple rate Ohlins piggybacks (3 way adjustable). Ohlins steering stabilizer. Stainless braided brake lines. Tag T2 fat bars. Black wheels (9" rear). Galfer Wave brake rotors. Red magnesium front hubs. Blaze map.

Moto = Long travel triple rate Ohlins piggybacks (3 way adjustable) Ohlins steering stabilizer. Stainless braided brake lines. Tag T2 fat bars. Black wheels (8" rear). 0 to +4 adjustable rear axle. Galfer Wave brake rotors. Red magnesium front hubs. Moto map.

All the others are base models as far as suspension goes.

Glamis - Special Edition. 54 made, came with paddle tires and a lighted whip harness. Also included 1/2" thick whip, and special sand valving. Different map too, and different gearing. Super advanced timing because of Toaster exhaust canister. Magura X version fat bars. X Line barpad.

Cannibal - Base model. Most came with AM shocks, some came with non-adjustable front Ohlins (preload only). Super advanced timing because of Toaster exhaust canister. Special Cannibal map.

Speed - Special Edition. Ohlins front shocks with special valving. Pretty basic Cannondale. Super advanced timing because of Toaster exhaust canister. Tag bars with crossbar. Special Speed map.

LE - Special Edition. Ohlins front shocks (preload only adjustability). Special graphics.

That is a quick list of the differences... There are a few others, key switch plates and things, wheel sizes.... I am a suspension whore, so I only rode either Blaze or Motos. Suspension is in my opinion the single best upgrade you can do on anything. The Blaze & Moto already have that accounted for...

RTJ
06-02-2009, 09:18 AM
:eek2: now thats an answer, THANKS