PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r problem?

hipnotoad
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi all. This is my first post here so I thought I would start out by seeking your wisdom.

I seem to be having a problem with my 86 250r. I can't tell exactly what is wrong, because it doesn't occur all the time. What happens is after riding for a while I seem to lose spark in my plug. I've tried switching plugs, but no luck. Sometimes after kicking 15-20 times I will get a spark, but after that, nothing. The weird thing is that the next day I can go and kick it over a couple times and she fires right up. I couldn't see that the plug was wet, so I think it's probably electrical.

Something like this happened shortly after I bought it, but I thought the problem was in the reed valve because the previous owner took off the metal stoppers allowing the cylinder to get flooded. I could only run it for 5 minutes or so before it would die. Once dead, a lot of kicking was in order to get her back up and running. I also noticed the plug was getting wet, only confirming my faulty reed valve theory.

Recently I installed a new cylinder to bring it back to it's stock bore, along with a new reed cage and top end. I thought the problem was solved because on the first ride I ran her for a few hours, only making stops to check everything over. Well, yesterday I took her out on her second trip, and after about a 5 hour ride, again stopping to check her over, she finally quit on me as I was approaching home. That's when I noticed I had lost spark. After testing different plugs and analyzing the situation I finally gave up and parked her for the night. Today I walked outside to check her over and she started right up on the 2nd kick. What gives here? I've heard of these things having electrical problems and what not, but I need to hear some of your opinions as this is my first quad and the damn thing is just as old as I am. Any tips, suggestions or stories will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mitch

trx250rider
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
sounds electric to me..you need to test your electrical system..here is an awesome thread on how to do it..hope this helps.

oh,and welcome to the 250r section and keep us posted

hipnotoad
02-23-2009, 10:21 PM
That's what I'm thinking. This sucks because it could be the stator, flywheel, cdi, ignition coil, or a short in the wiring somewhere. In short, it's probably going to be expensive. Something strange about the stator and flywheel though, is that when I took off the cover, I found rust and corrosion on both. When I bought the quad the rubber seal found on the stator's wire wasn't intact, so I suspect water leaked in that way. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

honda380
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
start with the coil. that seems to be it a majority of the time, plus it is simple to change out with a known good one. other than that, follow the manual's procedures and you can check against the specs. hope you figure it out. Corey

86 Quad R
02-24-2009, 07:06 AM
as mentioned. start with the coil. there is a remote possibility that the coil is getting "heat soaked". if that checks out i would start the trouble shooting process as per the manual and compare the readings.

welcome to the site and 250R's