PDA

View Full Version : tires for my 250ex

mikeE36
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
What is the biggest tire I can put on my rims. My front rims are 9 inches the back are 10 inches. I want to throw some huge mud tires. I have about a foot of clearance.

Any suggestions?

hondariderdylan
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
you can put 22s on the rear safely
i dont think big mud tires on the front would do much except help it turn

if you want to be dangerous, you could cut the rear fenders and fit utility tires and rims

some tires to look at are:
22's
ITP Mud Lite
Maxxis Sur Trak
Maxxis Zilla
Kenda Bear Claw

look around at the rest of the majorn tire manufacturers and see what you can find

also, if you can afford a set of 10' rims for the back, look into interco tire, they have some good stuff

Honda4life05
02-24-2009, 06:22 PM
just remeber that more weight=less power, an more wear on your drivetrain. (clutch, chain, sprockets)

mikeE36
02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
My question is does width matter? If I have a ten inch rim it doesn't matter what the first two numbers of the tire are right?

hondariderdylan
02-25-2009, 06:16 AM
well if the quad does go down on power, there are a couple of methods of increasing it.(pipe,filter,jets,bigbore kit, etc.)

and since it has a driveshaft i wouldnt worry about the drivetrain too much, maybe wear the clutch out faster but thats worth it in my mind

if you have 10 inch rims just make sure that the last # on the tire is a ten and you should be fine as long as they arnt too wide or narrow

86250rrider
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
you can put 22s on the rear safely
i dont think big mud tires on the front would do much except help it turn

if you want to be dangerous, you could cut the rear fenders and fit utility tires and rims

some tires to look at are:
22's
ITP Mud Lite
Maxxis Sur Trak
Maxxis Zilla
Kenda Bear Claw

look around at the rest of the majorn tire manufacturers and see what you can find

also, if you can afford a set of 10' rims for the back, look into interco tire, they have some good stuff

DO NOT PUT UTILITY TIRES ON A 250EX!! even though it really is one. i just put 21" itp gncc tires on mine and it cut down power even though they are shorter. a 22" heavy tire would kill the power. the stockers are light and it runs good but they suck for durability and traction. im opening the lid and rejetting to get the power back.my opinion.

hondariderdylan
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
yea
i think fitting utlilty tires/wheels is only for people who just have a 250 they can just screw around with,not for people who value it at all, or ride it regularly

but if you did put utility tires on it, you best stay in the first few gears to keep the rpm's up

mikeE36
03-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
yea
i think fitting utlilty tires/wheels is only for people who just have a 250 they can just screw around with,not for people who value it at all, or ride it regularly

but if you did put utility tires on it, you best stay in the first few gears to keep the rpm's up

I've been looking at dirt devils. I really just mud this quad. I kind of want to get a bigger rear rim and tire kit? Any suggestions. I'm looking at dirt devils. This way when i ride trails I can just put my old tires and rims back on it. I want to make the atv taller.

hondariderdylan
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
i think dirt devils should be ok as long as your not insane with it

i looked on GBC's website and they offer 22's in the stick rim size and that wont make it any taller than it already is
look around on craigslist or ebay and try to find some 11 inch back rims and see about getting some 24's or 25's

if you want to get fronts then you will have to find an 11 inch front set to mount fronts, and that will allow it to turn easier

mikeE36
04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
ok I decided its way more practical to get a mud tire that can ride the trails too. Can anyone recommend one?

hondariderdylan
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mikeE36
ok I decided its way more practical to get a mud tire that can ride the trails too. Can anyone recommend one?

look at interco swamplites
six ply, so they should last a bit
not sure about trail comfort
22' tall

04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
just remeber that more weight=less power, an more wear on your drivetrain. (clutch, chain, sprockets)

a 250 ex, doesnt have a chain or sprocket...:ermm: