PDA

View Full Version : Propper Care For Sand Riding

extremeisaac
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Anyone have good detailed tips for maintaining bikes after a day in the dunes? What areas neeed more attention than others when cleaning? What areas need to be lubed?

Should you put a "sock" over the filter, If I drilled holes in my airbox lid, should I buy a new lid specifically for dune riding?

cjkranz
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Preparation is more important then afterwards. Basically make sure your engine is protected, meaning a great aftermarket filter system. For example, the pro flow kit for Yamaha's since in stock form many can suck sand in easily if not put in just right. The other thing to think about is if you ride the sand all the time and lube your chain it will cause sand to stick to it more, basically making the wear process worse/faster.

sonof_perdition
02-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I ride strictly sand. I run a stock motor with a K&N intake/ outerwear with the air box lid off (i also rejetted and have an FMF slip-on). I use a chain lube called 'Dumonde'. I prefer this lube to others because it is not as sticky and the chain doesn't throw grease all over my swinger, airbox, battery box and sub frame... Other than a pre-ride check of the basics it is always ready to go.

After a ride or trip (if I am camping Im not able to clean it untill I get home) I spray it down with a 1:1 simple green and water and then detail it with a toothbrush (the toothbrush is more or less used to bring my attention to nooks and crannies and to look for bent, broken or missing parts. Look for cracks in the frame, worn or frayed wire housings or anything that looks wrong). After that I give it a quick wash with car wash soap and let it dry. Then, after a couple of hours I will lube the chain and other areas. Lastly, I will polish the plastics with a wipe on/off palstics and metal polish called 'ice'(no elbow grease needed) and if I am feeling bored I may polish my wheels (my least favorite part of the job).

My only complaint is that my frame paint has chipped in areas and now I get a bit of rust on the grab bar, bumper and under the frame. I think that is dure to how I tie it don on my trailer and not the sand. Honda paint , I guess...

Hope this helps...

extremeisaac
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
awesome little write up.. Thanks