PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this carb

snacob14
02-23-2009, 07:00 AM
I just picked up a 38mm Air Striker carb. I run xc with my R, and as far as I know my motor is stock with a bore or two on it. Will this carb help me out on the bottom end? Will it be an improvement over stock? Can I just bolt it in, or will I need to make any mods to make it work on a stock bike?

05LSR250R
02-23-2009, 07:06 AM
The 36 mm carb might be better for you. The only reason I say this is that the 36mm will have better low-end and gas mileage.

snacob14
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
what is the 38mm worth?

05LSR250R
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
You might want to try the 38 first. You might like it! You might not? I f you dont like it then get rid of it. I might be interested in it if you dont want it. I have the 36mm on my R and want a 38mm for more mid to top range.

snacob14
02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll definitely give it a shot. It probably won't be til after March 7th which is my next race. If it doesn't work out, maybe we could work out a trade?

jhtrx250r
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
The best carb to run on a stock motor is the 35mm A/S
that will improve the entire range and not drown you on the top.
thats what I ran on my X/C quad with a CR head gasket and it ran forever
The 38 A/S is a great carb if you have port work done or a larger bore
If you trade for a 36mm make sure it is at least a PWK 36, and not a 36PJ the stock is a 34PJ and you wont get any benifits out of a 36PJ
I also dont think they make a 36 A/S unless it came off a KTM or something and then you would need a new slide to make it run properly.
If you dont like the 38 A/S a 35 A/S is the hot ticket any good shop can get one for you pre jetted, If you dont have any good local shops look up arlin at LED performance, he has built the pros bikes for years and founded LRD and then LED and he is willing to help anyone out.

05LSR250R
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by snacob14
I'll definitely give it a shot. It probably won't be til after March 7th which is my next race. If it doesn't work out, maybe we could work out a trade?
We could work somethin out. Let me know. When you decide what to do.Thanx.

MossboysRacing
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
hey snacob14, the reason at mountain view i was having bike problems (besides losing my kickstarter :ermm: ) was that friday morning, the day before the race i had my 38A/S on my bike. Im having a hard time getting it jetted correctly, but im not giving up yet. I swapped out my reed spacer, intake boot, carb, and throttle cable friday night to go back to my old setup using a taper-bored stock carb. My motor isnt too crazy modded so i think thats why im having jetting issues. Im not going to try messing with mine untill it warms up a bit. Come find me at Sommersville and i talkt to you about it. I have also herd of using a 36pj for XC from an old friend of mine who used to race 250r's for years. they can be sourced off e-bay prettly eaisly. Honda used them on CR125s for a while. I know on a 97 they did, being that i rebuilt one for a buddy. Everyone had an opionion on what works best, or what works for them. Ill bring my whole 38A/S setup to the next race and I will give u all the info i know. (it may, or may not help:D )

86 Quad R
02-23-2009, 04:11 PM
there's something to be said 'bout 'em ole PJ carbs. ;)

jhtrx250r
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I would say they suck, try a PWK same size as that crappy PJ and the throttle response will double, its like using CR ignition over stock or a pro x after market cylinder over stock cylinder

312R1
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I have never had any issues with the 36PJ...I have an almost new one if your interested. I went to a 39PWK with my PC2000.

-Steve

Aceman
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree. I bought my 310R with a 36pj on it and it ran like a champ, never had any problems with it.

dunatic
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
there is very lil difference between the PJ and PWK...the PWK flows air across the emulsion tube better, so you get carburation and better economy.

I have ran PJ's as large as 40's with zero issues.

trx250rider
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
i have one of the duncan racing 36mm carbs if you want to trade..you can check their site to see it.im looking for a 38mm

snacob14
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
let me get this carb, should be tomorrow or wednesday. I'll keep you up to date. I'll let you know soon.

jhtrx250r
02-23-2009, 11:07 PM
There is a huge diffrence between PJ and the PWK, the PJ is old school tech and uses the choke circut to control the idle circut, that is why you need to turn the choke lever to to adjust the idle.
the PWK is also a D slide verses a oval slide for improved air flow and atomization.
The PWK has a much improved idle circut ant that is where you notice the bigest gains the bottom end, response is even better on a A/S carb due to the rear fins to direct air flow to the idle and low end circut thus the crips smooth response
Most PJ carbs blubber in the idle circut due to sharing the idle circut with the choke.

For any one reading this trying to figure it out this info is easy to find and better described with less misspelled words if you google sudco and read the advantages and dissadvantages on there website (for those of you who dont know sudco has been selling carburetors to every major company for years they are the leader in this industry)

05LSR250R
02-24-2009, 06:19 AM
My 36PJ runs like a champ! Never had any issues..........but I would be interested in the 38A/S.

86 Quad R
02-24-2009, 06:23 AM
lol dood are you on the payroll or what? j/k but on a serious note......... i dont need a web site the explain the advantages/disadvantages of each carb. they each have their application/use and i make use of that where needed. i have 5 2-strokers and i have pj's on some and pwk's on the others. i'll be the first to admit tho. the pj can be a beee-utch to get tweeked but once "on", she'll put out.

jhtrx250r
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
No, I am not on the pay roll, LOL I work for toyota, the reason I listed a web site is due to the fact that some (not all)users of this forum have no idea how a carb, motor, ignition system, or any thing for that matter works and need some assistance, You are not my target, there are some very sharp minds on this forum, However as I am sure you also see there are some dumb *****es that go off what there friends tell them is correct.
Case and point ,do your reasurch and go with what is best for you and your situation.

as a note if anyone need a used 39 PWK i have a few, but prefer the 35&38 A/S hands down, so if you want a PWK PM me