PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment

hotshotgoal30
02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
so i was reading the owners manual and i cam apon the page that says you should have your valves adjusted at 10 hours. im at about that or a little over. have you guys had this done? is this extremly important? does it need to be done like asap? how long does it take to do this? at $90 an hour for labor rate i hope not very long

X400EX
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't know the anwser.. But I would like to know! :)

5852jake
02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Yep, valve adjustments are important. Anyone with basic mechanic skills and a shop manual can do valves. Check them and they may not need adjustments.

ride_red666
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
itll take a few hours to do. the valve cover is hard to get off you will have to turn it plenty of times, its a tight fit. more than likely they wont need to be adjusted.

MarcM
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
For the Can Am DS 450X, BRP recommends an oil and oil filter change after 5 hours of use or 3 tank full of gas.

You should have received an oil filter for the 5 hour change upon purchase. They are actually zip tied to the 2008 DS 450 and DS 450X out of the crate.

Then BRP, also HIGHLY Recommends the 10 Hour Break in Service. Which include the Valve Adjustment and an over inspection of the Quad.

Check your owners manual for details.

BamBam730
02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
I hope that this does not sound stupid, but I have to ask. How can the valves of a brand new machine with 10 hours on it need adjustment? I own a ds650, which is in the dealership getting the 10 hour service as I type. I know the book states that the valves should be adjusted or checked at 10 hours. I can"t picture the dealership taking the atv apart to adjust valves that probably dont need adjusting. It would most likley be a huge waste of man hours on a repair that is not needed. If the valves need adjusting at 10 hours maybe I bought the wrong brand atv???????????????? Otherwise I have no major complaints with my machine, I am very happy with it.

hotshotgoal30
02-23-2009, 06:18 AM
i can agree with you on the 10 hour thing but its no different with other atv's at least not the raptor 700 my buddy bought the same time i bought mine. we have rode about the same amount of time and he mentioned to me that his manual said after 10 hours to check the valves and i said "thats crazy" but sure enough its the same for the DS450. he was thinking of taking all the plastics off so its easy to get at for the dealership and he wont get charged that labor rate to take off and put back on the plastics and such. there is no doubt it probably doesnt need adjusting or that someone with an owners manual and a little knowledge could do it but i plan on keeping this quad a long time ( at least 5 years to pay it off lol) and id hate to screw it up by trying to do it myself and needless to say i have no owners manual. i heard they are hard to come by. id feel better letting someone do it who knows. im not overly thrilled with the whole situation on service at my dealership. the whole clutch thing and the coolant leak i have mentioned to them 2 times and they say "we cannot duplicate the problem at this time" wtf? do they think im making this up? the thing leaks coolant when it sits overnite and no its not a steady stream but the thing is 2 months old fix the problem! grrr

maconu
02-23-2009, 07:23 AM
I just took my ds450 to DFR in mesa az. Rudy is the owner. He is the chief mechanic for the epic - CanAm race team. He said that it is always a good idea to do the initial valve check because as you break the engine in things will start to seat which can change the valve clearances.

I have had my bike sinse Dec 07 and I have been riding it alot and hard. My valve clearances were barely in spec but he still shimmed it.

BamBam730
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Just spoke to the Mechanic at the dealer who is performing my 10 hour service. He stated that most units will not need a vavle adjustment at 10 hours, but Can-am reccommends it to minimize any pay outs under warranty. They basicaly require it to rule you out of warranty work if you dont get the 10 hour service done. They basically offset the cost to the consumer and it is double edged, because if you dont have the service done and your atv breaks, they will not cover it under warranty. FYI makes sense.
PS- he states maybe 1 in 200 units need the valves adjusted at 10 hours.

BamBam730
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I hope that the above information answers any questions. It helped me.

MarcM
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
The Owners Manual should be under your seat.

The Owners manuals are also online at: http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/owner-center/operators-guides.htm

X400EX
02-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone... This information helped me too.

hotshotgoal30
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
sorry i meant service manual