PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
This is driving me nuts! I have recently bought a new starter and battery but it still does not fix my problem. When I completely charge my battery I have a good charge at first but it does not charge up when I ride and it kills my battery. If I would turn my quad on and off it only has enough juice to start it around 5 times. My question is what am I doing wrong? Can my wiring be shortening out somewhere or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I have a race this coming sunday. Thanks a lot

-Brandon

Homerx
02-22-2009, 05:32 PM
You need a new regulator. GL

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Are you sure it's the regulator? What exactly does the regulator do?

Homerx
02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Regulates hahah, It converts the AC power from the stator to dc voltage required to run the electrical systems, including charging,lights, ignition etc. . So in your case you are not getting any charging current back to your battery while its running.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
So it wasn't my starter to begin with? Sorry about not know much about electrical haha. It confuses me. So you think it will be good if I get a new regulator then?

Homerx
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
So it wasn't my starter to begin with? Sorry about not know much about electrical haha. It confuses me. So you think it will be good if I get a new regulator then?

If the starter was turning over on a charged battery then, no I don't believe it was the starter. I believe your regulator is toast. AS its responsible to charge the battery. Your stator and cdi are obviously ok as the bike runs. GL

droppedmazda
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
hey man i've got a regulator. i'll sell it to ya for like $10 bucks plus shippin. i'm not trying to make a lot of money, just tryin to help ya out so u can get that 400 up and goin again.

hale23
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
My old 300ex did that, so it was hooked up with toggle switches everywhere. If you turned the lights on it would kill it so we hooked up a set of driving lights to the battery. To turn the quad on you turned a key and pushed over a toggle switch. It was a lot less expensive than everything that it would have needed to start normally.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply homer, I will go up to the quad store down the road and find one. Thanks!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I bought a different regulator today and still nothing. The battery wont hold a charge for crap.

Homerx
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
I bought a different regulator today and still nothing. The battery wont hold a charge for crap.

Download the shop manual from here. http://www.manualz.info see Honda tab at the top. Section 15 has instructions to test charging system, including stator check. GL