PDA

View Full Version : Spal 4' Fan Install

Choppers
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Man i made the brackets and all today and wired it so when i turn the key on it comes on. What a difference it made in power wise. 3 hours riding and no power loss. I recommend it to anyone and it wasn't hard to do. I got mine off ebay for $32 with shipping.

NacsMXer
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice, how about some pictures of your install? I'm interested in this same mod. Did you have to trim the gas tank protector at all?

Choppers
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
yea i cut the clear heat shield about 4 inches from the front. it looks factory until you get to the wiring which only reason is because i used a grey wire loom so i would know which wires went to the fan. but you can't tell. i will try to take pics tomorrow. but like I said best $32 i spent on my quad. all i have done to the quad and in florida it over heats.

Choppers
02-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Heres the pics as promised. The grey wire is the fan hookup and everything.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x232/Choppers2019/IMG_3420.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x232/Choppers2019/IMG_3422.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x232/Choppers2019/IMG_3423.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x232/Choppers2019/IMG_3425.jpg

Choppers
02-22-2009, 12:10 PM
it was very hard to get great pics but you get the idea.it took literally 10 minutes to make the brackets and drill holes for the screws. the hardest part was finding the hot wire in the ignition switch and i grounded it to the braket i made. also i put some double sided tape but didn't let the sticky stuff get on the cooler so it wouldn't vibrate on the cooler.

hopefully everyone else can do the same if they need better cooling.

NacsMXer
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Very nice, thanks for the pics! ;)

Definitely gonna have to look into this one myself!

Choppers
02-22-2009, 02:31 PM
yea don't make the mistake i did and order the push fan the first time. you want the puller. the ebay seller was nice and sent me both and just had to re send the wrong one back. it is the best money i have spent though. i am gonna order a oil temp dipstick for it soon from xr's only. i wanna see how cool it runs. it just kept over heating and this has now solved the problem as i have rode it 2 days straight and it hasn't.

NacsMXer
02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah I noticed that on ebay. The pusher fan is a little cheaper, but the correct puller fan is still dirt cheap at a little over $30.

Those dipsticks are definitely cool. Right now I have a Desert Toyz Supercooler oil cooler on the quad, it's like 3 times bigger than the stock one. The bigger cooler definitely helped get the temps down, but i'd imagine adding this Spal fan to it would make an IMMENSE difference compared to stock :devil:

Choppers
02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
i think of it as just like a radiator. you need a fan on a radiator so you would def. need a fan on a oil cooler.

Wheelie
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Seems as though I started a trend with the SPAL fans.

Here's my setup, I trimmed the fuel tank shield for clearance and mounted mine up a bit higher. Works killer, and with only a 1.9amp draw it won't kill the battery and the stock stator has plenty of juice to spare.

It's amazing how much air these little buggers move.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0229.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0230.jpg

Choppers
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
i trimmed my shield just like you did and my fan is about in the middle of the cooler.

hypersnyper6947
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I have one too they work great the install is easy and they move a lot of air for sure.

NacsMXer
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm going to search more on this but since you guys posted...did you all just tap into a wire that was hot when the key is on? What color was the wire you tapped into? Thanks.

Wheelie
02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I tapped into a continuous hot wire near the solenoid, still under fuse protection though. The ground was run to the coil mount.

BTW--I run a toggle switch mounted near my neutral light--the toggle switch is rated for 15amps, which is more than enough. I didn't like the thought of the fan always going, at high speeds I didn't feel it would do much. Mine was installed to be used for low speed cooling--mainly for the tree shots I run at the dunes.

Choppers
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
can't remeber the color of the wire as i taped everything up from water but i used a test light with the key switch on to figure out the power wire and ground it to my bracket i made.

NacsMXer
02-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Alright thanks guys, I got a SPAL on the way! :D

32 bucks shipped from ebay, I feel like I made out like a bandit. I've been following the popularity of the SPAL fans from the beginning, but this deal finally made me pull the trigger. Everywhere else i've checked up until now was selling them for $50-60

I have a test light and multimeter to find power, ground is easy. I'll have to look for that wire near the solenoid, I like the idea of the connection being fused. I was originally contemplating installing an in-line fuse and a toggle switch on the power wire, but that's even better.

As far as toggle switches go, wouldn't I have to find some type of weatherproof toggle switch? I do hose things down pretty good when I wash my quad, so I wouldn't want to worry about fouling up an ordinary toggle switch made to work in "dry" environments.

Choppers
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
i wanted mine to run all the time so thats why i wired mine like i did. they don't pull much power so i figured this way was fine.

Wheelie
02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I've been using a conventional non-weatherproof toggle for over a year without any problems. My quad gets washed after every ride.

hypersnyper6947
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Mine is on a toggle to, I just ran wires directly to my pos and neg on my battery and put a toggle in between on the pos cord. By the way you guys got a steal i paid like 50 or 60 for mine.

NacsMXer
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Alright thanks guys for the info on that, and thanks Choppers for pointing out such a sweet deal on this fan! :macho

I may wire it straight to the key switch, or use a toggle...haven't really decided yet.

02-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Im wanting to do this mod.. Im installing a new oil cooler so mine as well do this why Im working in the area... I'll prolly just let mine run continuos.. It shouldnt hurt anything...

I wanted to ask one of you guys like wheelie if you could fab up some brackets for the fan and I'll pay you for your trouble.. I'm just swamped at work and dont have time for anything right now.

Homerx
02-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Anyone have a link to these on ebay at 32$. I have searched and don't find a think under spal. Thx

Choppers
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
its on ebay. type in spal 4 and alot of fans come up. should be $32 free shipping. make sure you get the puller. sorry i can't make the brackets. i just found thin metal around the house and bent it and drilled. very simple anybody should be able to do this if you can change oil on these quads. the wiring is the hard part.