PDA

View Full Version : rebuild problem

qeddy84
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
i replaced my piston on my lt 250r and put my bike back together after a total strip down but now it wont start theres a little water leak in the head gasket area but the compression seems to be gud athou im nt shure can anyone help please . thanks

LTandRaptorider
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Many things to trouble shoot after a teardown. Check for spark first. You say you have a "small" water leak in the head gasket area? You did use a new gasket, right? Torque all engine bolts to the right spec, in the right order? Low compression is a common cause of hard to start or no start condition. I am guessing from what you said about coolant leaking, you have low compression AND coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. Also, since you replaced the piston, did you line up the rings with the index pins, and make sure the rings stayed in place as you slid the cylinder down? I would focus on the coolant leak, fix that. Still a prob, then go over everything else... Make sure all electrics are hooked up, and so forth. Let us know how it goes. :cool:

qeddy84
02-22-2009, 01:56 AM
Naw i never replaced gasket as the shop said id get away with it (obviously not lol)ther is a spark and the wireing i think should be fine as for the torquein the bolts to the right spec i dont have a manual i no its bad practise nt useing one bt i dont have one. Is there any way anybody could email me a copy or sumthing

motomadnesam
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Replace the head gasket.