PDA

View Full Version : problems need help

monkeyballs
02-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok well I have a honda 400ex 2002. I just got some prowedge tires for it. Went to my budys place and my quad was working mint! Went riping around all day. Next day started it then went riping again. Then this started happening :-s 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear the engine works great but when im in 4th gear and give it gas it slowly starts to boggs down, same thing with 5th gear. Some times 4th gear is not to bad others not.. Then when it starts booging down in 4th and 5th you can hear some what of a ticking sound. I realy dont know what the problem is any help plz?

hypersnyper6947
02-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a fuel or air flow problem. Check your gas cap vent make sure thats still working, also make sure you have no kinks in the fuel line, full tank, and clean your air filter. See if any of that fixes it.

buck440
02-21-2009, 06:57 PM
it sounds like your shifting too soon and when you give it a lot of gas it does that. i dont know if thats your problem but it happens to me like when i climb hills and have it in to high of a gear it bogs and it sounds like my rockers are goung crazy.

droppedmazda
02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
the ticking noise is prolly spark knock. run a higher grade gas through it and it might no tick anymore. as far as the bogging i dont know. you might have a fuel problem or the tranny might be getting tight somewhere.

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Sounds like a fuel or air flow problem. Check your gas cap vent make sure thats still working, also make sure you have no kinks in the fuel line, full tank, and clean your air filter. See if any of that fixes it. ty ill take a look and see if that could be my problem. Ill also take appart the carb and give it a good cleaning. Perhaps some snow got stuck in the vent hose :-s. ill keep you informed.

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by buck440
it sounds like your shifting too soon and when you give it a lot of gas it does that. i dont know if thats your problem but it happens to me like when i climb hills and have it in to high of a gear it bogs and it sounds like my rockers are goung crazy. No its for sure not me shifting to soon. Becaus I was able to 5th gear it in the snow b4 the problem. And I tryed to 4th and 5th gear it on the road and it just boogs down. ty thought.

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by droppedmazda
the ticking noise is prolly spark knock. run a higher grade gas through it and it might no tick anymore. as far as the bogging i dont know. you might have a fuel problem or the tranny might be getting tight somewhere. I have always been runing regular and no problems. Then tranny might be getting tight? What do you mean by that? ty

droppedmazda
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
tranny might be binding up somewhere. those prowedges hook hard as hell and might have screwed the tranny somehow.

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 01:38 PM
tranny might be binding up somewhere. those prowedges hook hard as hell and might have screwed the tranny somehow. Ya them tires are insane. But how do I figure out of I screwed teh tranny?

droppedmazda
02-22-2009, 01:51 PM
i would eliminate all the other possibilitys and if that didn't work i would start tearing it down and lookin for bad parts. it sounds like a fuel problem but i cant see y it would have started when u got the tires.

billyboy93
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM
its bad 2 run regular your supposed 2 run supreme

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
There is nothing worng with running regular. Once I drop in my 11:1 comp piston then I will put supreem.. The bigest reason ppl run higher octain gas is to stop engine pining. Since my quad is still stock im fine with regular. And sure its cleaner to run supreem but its simply not worth it unless..

dariusld
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Is your bike stock? If it isn't then it sounds like your main jet is too big.

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 07:08 PM
i would eliminate all the other possibilitys and if that didn't work i would start tearing it down and lookin for bad parts. it sounds like a fuel problem but i cant see y it would have started when u got the tires. Well it did not start when I put the tires on. Just after 2 days of ripping around on the lake and in the snow then it started. Well im going 2 check all the possibilitys and pray that its not the tranny thats going lol. ty

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Is your bike stock? If it isn't then it sounds like your main jet is too big. I got a yosh pipe full system k&n air filter and im running no lid. 170 dyno jet as a main jet. Thats all the mods I got. Though it was running mint b4. ty

dariusld
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
I got a yosh pipe full system k&n air filter and im running no lid. 170 dyno jet as a main jet. Thats all the mods I got. Though it was running mint b4. ty

A 170 doesn't sound to big. But whats the rest of your jetting, your pilot, your needle position, and your fuel screw?

monkeyballs
02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
A 170 doesn't sound to big. But whats the rest of your jetting, your pilot, your needle position, and your fuel screw? 40 pilot and fuel screw I cant remember. I think its 2 turns out. Thought, normaly to tune it I just crank the idol and turn it out untill its at the peak rpm and if its more then 3 turns out, up the p jet... Then just leave it there.

monkeyballs
02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok vent hose is not cloged thought still not the easyest thing to blow through lmao. Then no kinks in the fuel lines. Iv been realy sick for the last couple days, tmr I might take it for a ride with the gas cap off and..

What else should I check. I did not rip off the carb yet so.. Then I cant see it being the cam since it would act like crap all around, could it be the piston thats finished. Since it burns enough oil and im planning on doing a rebuild in a month or 2. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.