PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket mount locked on axle. Need help please!

Lampy1978
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Has anyone else here had to replace their rear axlebearings and had the sprocket mount suck on the axle? I am trying desperately to get this thing off. I've tried penetrating lubes andheated up the mount along with hammering the snot out off it, and it will not budge.

Does anyone have any other advice on how to get this thing off??

RATPACK Z400
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
If you look at sproket on axle it has a nut loosen nut take chain off on other side theres a ring holding brake rotor assembly on axle take two flatheads pry off ring take off right side hub as well slide axle out the left if Im correct haven,t done it in a while

Lampy1978
02-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
If you look at sproket on axle it has a nut loosen nut take chain off on other side theres a ring holding brake rotor assembly on axle take two flatheads pry off ring take off right side hub as well slide axle out the left if Im correct haven,t done it in a while

I have all the nuts, bolts and washers off. According to the manual, the carrier should slide right off, but it's not. I'm thinking it might be corroded on.

airmobile101
02-21-2009, 06:00 PM
The bearings(whats left of them) are more than likely seized on. I had to take a sledge and oxy/ace heat to get mine out.

Lampy1978
02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
The bearings(whats left of them) are more than likely seized on. I had to take a sledge and oxy/ace heat to get mine out.

Tried that just now.
Still no luck. I'm probably going to cut it off and replace the whole axle.:(

02-21-2009, 09:14 PM
hey just did mine today. as long as you take off left hub/spacers etc. you can take off the sprocket lock nut, then the nut and the spacers. then either take off the sprocket from hub, or take off the chain. then take off rear brake cylinder.....once you take off the two bolts, it should slide out. if not hit it. like you said it could be corroded on there. than you take the adjuster plates completely off and slide out carrier. its a pain in the *** to get the 2 bolts off, but when you do, its easy.....

Lampy1978
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Still wouldn't come off, so I cut the flanges on the sprocket mount so I could just slide the whole assembly out. Turns out the the entire axle housing is shattered. Looks like it's time to do some shopping!

Thanks for the suggestions.

02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
yea no prob. i found on ebay a whole carrier assembly for $178 and a g-force axle for about the same, with i think free shipping. cant beat that ahaha. its new too