PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a 250R

IcutMetl
02-20-2009, 08:26 PM
So I finally did it, and completely on a whim. Found a 1988 250R on Craigslist today that a buddy alerted me to. After work, I grabbed some cash, went and snatched it up! The plastic isn't perfect, it doesn't have front brakes (guy rode in dunes only), and it needs some other basics replaced, but I got it for $1600 cash. It has a .020" overbore, 38mm Mikuni, and Paul Turner exhaust, and some other chrome goodies. I got front calipers & discs, plus a spare set of crappy rear tires as well. It starts very easily; especially when warm, and seems to have awesome throttle response. Nothing rattles; idles pretty smooth. All pivot bearings are tight, as are the hubs. I only rode it briefly up & down street, but it seems to rip pretty f'in good!

I want to replace with red plastics, stock headlight re-install w/ factory switches...etc, red lables & holeshots, twist throttle, extended a-arms with piggybacks, rear piggyback, etc.

I'll definitely be coming in here to ask for advise. My last 4 wheeler was a 400ex, and I ride with guys that have Warriors, 450r, a Quadzilla...

What do you think??

dustinshuler
02-20-2009, 08:38 PM
nice find!!!!

Jonny B
02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Nice grab...did you find that in ohio?

312R1
02-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Jonny B
Nice grab...did you find that in ohio?

Yeah I think it is...I was thinking about getting it..:D

IcutMetl
02-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Yep; it was in Toledo, and I am in Sandusky. For as long as I've researched these on atvtrader.com and ebay, finding one at that price for $1600 was like a sore peter...ya just can't beat it.

pepshocks
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
if you wana sell that plastic pm me ill buy it

havinnoj
02-21-2009, 04:28 PM
check ur pm's

IcutMetl
02-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Finally got it out for a ride this afternoon, but by that time it was a light rain/snow. Those worn down 400ex tires and a wild powerband equals NO traction or side bite whatsoever!! Been a while since I've ridden a good 2 stroke, but she sure seems to run good, and definitely seems to LOVE to rev out with no issues slipping clutch in a high gear to find the power again VERY quickly. It definitely needs at least new rear tires for now. Was just thinking of some Kenda Klaws, Razr's, or similar on stock rims for now, because traction is honestly piss-weak right now, when it's slippery. I ride mostly woods, open fields, trails, all around. Reccomendations?? Had holehot 20" XCR's on 10" rims on my 400ex and liked those. What about on the 250r?

What's the best resource for parts diagrams, layouts, or depictions on what is supposed to be where on this beast? I know there's little doo-dads missing that I'll have to modify, make, or fix...and I like to do things at least close to the right way. I could definitely see myself stripping it to the frame to strip, check, gusset the frame someday, but not right now.

Thanks guys!!

05LSR250R
02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I like the Holeshots from ITP.
Buy a service manual right away.

thedeatons
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
I bought a Service Manual, then kicked myself when I found out it was a free download on *********.... So is the parts manual.

nashport_native
02-22-2009, 05:48 PM
I also just picked up my first honda 250r (have an 88 lt250r too)friday, here near my house in ohio. picked it up for 1400 bucks. needs a tether and tires and i will be ready for the xc season.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n99/nashport_native/250r/SANY0356.jpg