PDA

View Full Version : Temp Light issues!!

gemfride
02-20-2009, 05:51 PM
For some reason my temp light flashes and the motor starts spittin and sputterin at about 1/4 throttle. I bought a new temp sensor and that fixed the problem for a few mins. Then it started all over again!! I can unplug the sensor and hook it straight to the frame and the motor runs fine and so does the fan but my light doesnt come on, and according to everything I have found on the web it says your light should stay on when you do this. I am really confused here. Does anyone have any idea what my prob could be. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

WilRideAnything
02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
The light doesn't stay on when the switch wire is grounded. Mine has been like that for years. Check the ground to your coil.

gemfride
02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I will try that in the morning. I am almost certain it is a short or something, or just a dead ground. I tinkered with it this evening for a while, and am gonna try to finish up in the morning. I started at the tail light and am working my way towards the front basically just checking the wires and what not.

WilRideAnything
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
If it was a short it would do it even if you grounded the fan switch wire. You saying that it's fine when you ground it tells me there is a bad ground somewhere and grounding the fan switch wire compensates for that.

gemfride
02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I think I figured it out today. I noticed when I pulled the tether switch, the motor didnt stall. I have it wired straight to the coil. After fixing the ground to the tether and redoing the wire to the coil, no light, no spit and sputter so I guess it was a ground after all. One more question, I am not all that great with carbs. Shes getting a little hard to start, and when you dump the throttle you notice a slight hesitation. Any suggestions on this?? Ever since I bought it new, when you kick it you have to slightly press the throttle. And its started to kick back (:D ) a little more often then usual!

WilRideAnything
02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Do you know what jetting you have now? Do you run an open airbox?

kbass24emtp
02-22-2009, 03:26 AM
You need to adjust your valves. Also keep you thumb off the throttle when starting.

gemfride
02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I have the lid removed and if I am not mistaken its in the 180-190 range. I know I am a little rich because the plug is slightly black, instead of the choco milk color. I am getting ready to re ring and adjujst the valves. I just ordered rings and a valve shim kit.

gemfride
02-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Honestly it wont start without just barely touching the throttle, what could this be the valves or even the needle??

kbass24emtp
02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Try the valves first and see what happens.