PDA

View Full Version : NeeD Help!

81-Honda-04
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a new HMF full system exhaust that i got for my 2004 Honda 400EX and tryed installing it, but when i started the bike it sounded like the air was comming right out of the header and not traveling through the pipes. and it gave off this smelly gas.. i have plans on taking it down to the shop tomorrow and having them install it again and find if there is a problem unless its an easy fix that you guys know of that i can do on my own. anything will help!
any tips also on the carring for the exhaust!

400thacker
02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
prolly just not used to it. make sure you don't feel any pressure coming out around where the pipes meet. they will smell more and be louder...and run better! ;)

02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
instead of paying them an outrageous amount...get 2 of these...
18291-MN5-650

this is the honda part number for an exhaust gasket that fits between the head pipe and the cylinder...

if you are losing air where the head pipe and exhaust meet..get this part also... 18392-HN1-A20 GASKET, MUFFLER

you WILL need to rejet the carb. if you do not, you will be running lean...read this... http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQ_jet_kit.htm

81-Honda-04
02-20-2009, 04:03 PM
thanks guys! yeah i got the new upgraded jets. that i am installing myself. i think my dad has got it figured out. we will see. but thanks for the tips!

81-Honda-04
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
we have it running and jetted. but know when i ride i feel like it there isnt enought air getting to the bike. i have heard of guys riding without the air box lid. but i dont think i can get away with that... bc i ride trails and it gets way to muddy. any ideas of what i could do.. i thought about maybe drilling a few holes in the box.. but wanted to know if there was a safer way of going... Let me know!! thanks

rideracelivemx7
02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
outwears covers, cheap way of closing off your box and ensuring water and dust won't enter, 20$ at motosport.com you get the air flow you want and the protection you need

Speedy 400ex
02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
You can do this mod to your air box lid. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330349. i did this plus a secound outerwears on the fliter to. It works well