PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Extra Oil Cooler Install

ds268
02-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I love riding at the dunes but as we all know our little air cooled 400's can only run great till the heat sets in. Mine is a 426 11:1 with a cam and mild port job. It runs great for about 6 passes and gets warm then falls on it's face so...

I have seen the kits made for around 100 bucks. Great deal for some but I know it can be done a lot cheaper. For $31 and some change I went to the local autoparts store and ordered the smallest tranny/oil cooler I could get. It comes with hose and clamps and the black zip binders for mounting the cooler. This one measures 12"x5.5"x.75". It has 3/8" fittings but used 5/16" hose and you'll see why.

The mounts were the tricky part BUT simple. The upper mount is made with three strips of aluminum, two are bent to a roughly 70 degree angle for the horizontal strip to rivet across where the cooler will mount. They bolt directly to the frame where the two black wire harness clips clip into. Remove them and they expose roughly 1/4" holes to bolt the upper mount to. The bottom is another strip bent to contour the cooler and bolted to the cross piece behind the bumper. I opted to use a felt weather stripping between the mounts and cooler for vibration wear purposes. The kit comes with little foam squares that serve the same purpose.

Once the cooler is mounted, it's time to adapt the oil line system. I disconnected the factory oil line on the right side (oil pressure line from engine) and cut just before the first bend with a small pipe cutter specifically to keep metal chips/shavings out of the system and for a clean cut. Then you'll take the other piece cut off and cut this about 1/4th of the bend from the factory cooler mount. The mount is reinstalled upsidedown so that it bends upward. Because the diameter of these factory lines are smaller than 3/8", I used 5/16" hose that fits very snuggly over. From the engine to the cooler and from the cooler back to the factory cooler and tighten with hose clamps. I started it up and topped off the oil with about an extra 1/8th of a quart.

Thinking mount ideas...
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/IMG_0004-1.jpg

Mounted with the aluminum bracket bolted to the clip holes in the shock cross frame.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/IMG_0012.jpg

Plumbed into the factory oil system. No drilling, taping or any other BS required.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/IMG_0014.jpg

Fit and finished!
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/cooler1.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/cooler4.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/dustin_67wake/Quads/cooler3.jpg

ae13291
02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
good job man. so u cut the factory flanges off?

blankenship
02-20-2009, 02:23 AM
hey how does it work i had the same style cooler hooked up plumed the same way but i could not figure out a good way to mount it...............thank you by the way i will be hooking this back up asap just wondering how much better it will be once i get it back on

sc400ex_rider
02-20-2009, 02:31 AM
very nice!! simple and clean.

ds268
02-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ae13291
good job man. so u cut the factory flanges off?

Not exactly but I did cut the flange off and mounted it upside down so that the tube bends upward. There is about a full inch and a quarter of tube to clamp the hose to.

ds268
02-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by blankenship
hey how does it work i had the same style cooler hooked up plumed the same way but i could not figure out a good way to mount it...............thank you by the way i will be hooking this back up asap just wondering how much better it will be once i get it back on

I just finished it last night. Took me about three hours from getting the cooler home to finish. I'm going riding this weekend so I will get an update on performance.

adawg89
02-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I sent you a pm on some questions

buck440
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
does anybody know about oil pressure? how big of one can you get until you comprimise your engine? i was thinking about getting this one....should it be alright?

scuzz
02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm sure you would need to put extra oil in it, but I don't think it would drop the pressure.

ds268
02-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by buck440
does anybody know about oil pressure? how big of one can you get until you comprimise your engine? i was thinking about getting this one....should it be alright?

That looks a bit overkill. I mean the cooler I used will cool a 4 cylinder auto tranny. Plus that might be a bit tougher to mount. I would imagine that the oil pump will have to work some amount harder to push that extra volume of oil. Just remember, it wasn't designed to have a huge cooler.

Choppers
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
you ought to start selling a kit man. that looked real simple for you to do and make you some extra change in the pocket. great job by the way.

ds268
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
you ought to start selling a kit man. that looked real simple for you to do and make you some extra change in the pocket. great job by the way.

I'm working on that. I'm going to design sturdy, simple mounts and see if I can throw a kit together. I know a few people where I live that are highly interested.

ds268
02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Wow what a difference that made!!! Pass after pass it was consistant without the power drop. The sand was really wet which made hill climbing more tough. The most noticeable difference was that because it was running so much cooler at all times, it had more power, very noticeable. At one race segment, I made ten passes repeatedly in flat drags and ran consistant every time. I killed a two piped banshees and edged out three other piped 450r's and lost by a length against my bro's hrc 450r. I'm so thrilled with the results. I will have some pictures racing soon.

shok47
04-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Imm thinking of doing something like this. Where did you get the oil cooler?

Speedy 400ex
04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I like it. Great job!

shok47
04-15-2009, 08:20 AM
I found the cooler on ebay if anyone wanted to do it as well.

Is it worth it for stock bore?? I think it would look awesome, and yet if it will benefit the stocker, I may do it..

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=hayden+oil+cooler&_sacat=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313&_odkw=hayden+oil+coo.ler&_osacat=__0

Called hayden oil cooler if the link doesnt work.

pods_BMOC
04-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Why do you need something just to catch more mud,.. thats what fenders are for.

Pipeless416
04-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by pods_BMOC

400ex engines run notoriously hot...especially when modded. any added cooling is a bonus and adds to reliability, durability, and oil life.

davidw2155
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I bought one of these oil coolers off ebay, but when I was checking it for placement I noticed that it may conflict with a steering stabilizer. I don't have one now but I plan on gettng one. Has anyone else who has done this install ran into this problem before?

Eviltanker
04-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by davidw2155
I bought one of these oil coolers off ebay, but when I was checking it for placement I noticed that it may conflict with a steering stabilizer. I don't have one now but I plan on gettng one. Has anyone else who has done this install ran into this problem before?

Don't get the cartridge type, go with the one that sits at the bottom of the stem.

ds268
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pods_BMOC

Well, I ride dunes so don't have that problem. Even when I don't, I'm not riding when its all muddy.

shok47
04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I have a PEP stabalizer and it mounts on the stem to the left engine mount, right above the oil dipstick. The stabalizer does a great job too. I plan to get this cooler

davidw2155
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I've been looking at a Custom CNC Parts stabilizer thats sold on ebay, I'm sure you've all heard of them. Anyways, just by looking at pictures of this install and comparing them to the way I'm going to install it and the pictures from the ebay page I think I will clear. Has anyone here ever had that setup?

Eviltanker
04-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by davidw2155
I've been looking at a Custom CNC Parts stabilizer thats sold on ebay, I'm sure you've all heard of them. Anyways, just by looking at pictures of this install and comparing them to the way I'm going to install it and the pictures from the ebay page I think I will clear. Has anyone here ever had that setup?
Thats what I'm thinking of doing, Looks like everything will clear.

riles88g
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
how much extra oil did you need to use?

riotact
08-12-2009, 11:44 AM
As soon as I can find a shop here to do some custom lines for me I'm going to install this oil cooler in the stock location with spal fan mounts and tabs to mount it in the stock location welded on should look stock when its done and I'll post up some pics.It measures 13x4x2 with 2 AN8 fittings.

dariusld
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I would think that it wouldn't last very long there. Maybe your never behind anyone.

riotact
08-12-2009, 03:27 PM
It's only a little bigger then the stock one so it wont get beat up any worse then the stock cooler does. :huh

nakomis0
08-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I would do the FST mod and re route the oil to the top of the cam.

nakomis0
08-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I would do the FST mod and re route the oil to the top of the cam.

robertwarreniii
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I have had my 400ex for about four years now and I have never noticed it losing power because the oil getting too hot. But then again, I've never raced it against anybody so I might be losing power and getting slower through the day and just not realize it. I also don't really ride when it's really hot out. I am normally riding when it's about 80 and it's just trail riding. Are you guys that are having problems with your oil getting too hot heavily modded? Mine is bone stock mechannically wise. And where are you guys riding? I live in central Wisconsin so I'm normally in the woods and it doesn't get very hot here. Besides losing power, is there any other way to tell your oil is getting too hot?

ds268
11-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by robertwarreniii
I have had my 400ex for about four years now and I have never noticed it losing power because the oil getting too hot. But then again, I've never raced it against anybody so I might be losing power and getting slower through the day and just not realize it. I also don't really ride when it's really hot out. I am normally riding when it's about 80 and it's just trail riding. Are you guys that are having problems with your oil getting too hot heavily modded? Mine is bone stock mechannically wise. And where are you guys riding? I live in central Wisconsin so I'm normally in the woods and it doesn't get very hot here. Besides losing power, is there any other way to tell your oil is getting too hot?

If you're stock, you won't have this problem. With the over bore to 426, the cylinder wall becomes thin and creates more and more heat. As far as riding and temperatures, Its usually around 70-90 here and I primarily ride dunes which makes the engine work much harder. Sometimes we'll ride in 90+ degree temps but not for long. Woods riding doesn't work the engine like sand.

finsteratv
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
ive ridden around at sand lake on a nice 50-60 degree day and if i stop to wait or watch somthing and kill the hundy i notice im pinging :confused: i run premium and im 100% stock..

blankenship
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
hey this oil cooler is a GREAT idea i did the same thig to my old 440EX when i had it only cost about 50 bucks for the cooler and lines from my local parts store i just bought a clutch cooler from a old standerd nissan truck it looked just like in the pics and mounted it exaxctly how he did with zip ties never leaked a drop and could ride all day without even thinking of over heating had a 13.5/1 piston too

jtalleman
03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
wouldnt a spal fan do the same thing cus thats where my reservoirs go fro my shocks

muddy maki
07-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey ds268 any updates on this? Did you ever have any issues? Did you ever add a spall fan? Probably going to do this within a week to my 440 just curious if you ever had to alter it.

ds268
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by muddy maki
Hey ds268 any updates on this? Did you ever have any issues? Did you ever add a spall fan? Probably going to do this within a week to my 440 just curious if you ever had to alter it.

Still have it, works perfectly. I haven't ever considered adding a fan with how well it works but I'm sure it would drop a couple more degrees but really not needed.

muddy maki
07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
This thread is so old I was expecting that you had sold the quad lol! I'm glad to hear you still have it and it has held up.

This is a great write up btw and silly cheap and easy.

muddy maki
07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Hey did you unbolt and flip the hard line flange at the factory cooler 180* ?

ds268
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by muddy maki
This thread is so old I was expecting that you had sold the quad lol! I'm glad to hear you still have it and it has held up.

This is a great write up btw and silly cheap and easy.
I've had it since brand new and its a great bike, and hardly worth selling anymore. Next week it gets an FCR and will be tuned on e85.

And yes that fitting is flipped around.

Rohr397
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I would think that it wouldn't last very long there. Maybe your never behind anyone.

Well I can't speak on behalf of everyone but my Four Stroke Tech kit is tucked in just behind the frame rails so there was room for a metal guard in front of it, such as the DG front guard or a homemade one similar to it.

muddy maki
07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Well I have been shopping for a smaller cooler than the one used in this thread. All though they are out there in a perfect 5x7 size at $70-$100 I'll stick with the 5.5x12 one in this tread.

sanders2227
08-01-2012, 07:17 AM
REALLY NICE THREAD! I DID THIS ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO ON MY 99 440 WORKS GREAT GOT THE IDEA FROM YOUTUBE. COOLED MINE BY ABOUT 20 DEGREES ACCORDING TO TRAIL TECH VAPOR. I USED A BRAKE FLARE TO FLARE THE ENDS OF THE HARD LINES TO PREVENT THEM FROM COMING OFF. MIGHT HAVE BEEN POINTLESS BUT AN EXTRA 5 MINUTES TO SAVE A HEADACHE IS WORTH IT TO ME. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK! :p