PDA

View Full Version : Dad might be getting a 400EX.

TC17
12-24-2002, 12:31 PM
he's thinking about getting one. he's not sure though. he promised my mom if he goes from 210-180 then he can race. :). i hope he gets one. he called our Honda dealer today and they said they haven't dropped the price it's still $5,599 i think. they have a used one that's a 01' but they want 47. i think that's a little high for it being almost 2 years old. he said that he wants to get something very reliable. he said that means he's only going good with Honda. he said he doesn't want to buy a Raptor cause he doesn't want to spend as much time riding as fixing and buying new parts. he said they are to tippy. any other suggestions other than 400EX? what about the Z?

Atreyu
12-24-2002, 12:33 PM
If your going to buy a new one just go with the Z. Especially if they are both the same price in your area. But if you want something used get Honda (cheap, fast, reliable).

TC17
12-24-2002, 12:38 PM
we can't get a used one cause we don't have up front cash. if we pay my 250 off like 3g on a credit card then maybe Honda will give my dad another 3g to spend. we have to use the Honda card or get another card. what are your opions on the Z? cause my dad needs something with reverse. we do MX and trails.

Atreyu
12-24-2002, 12:41 PM
If I had the money I would go for the Z. Not too much power over the 400ex. They are liquid cooled so theres no power loss due to heat. And reverse is always good to have. As far as MX with a Z goes, I hear its pretty good. I think Gust has been racing his Z lately.

TC17
12-24-2002, 12:43 PM
ok. thanks. i'll have to let him know about the Z. he hasn't said anything about that. it just crossed my mind when i typed the thread. good idea. what about the rear axle? i heard they bend. is that true?

12-24-2002, 12:49 PM
after i sell the shee, if i actually do get another quad, it will be either a raptor or a z400

Atreyu
12-24-2002, 12:56 PM
For a fisrt year quad, I think the Z is doing pretty well. Yeah the axles so bend but I think Suzuki is working on that now.Some people have has minor electrical problems with them too. Thats really all the bad stuff I've heard about them. I dont agree with DW (I dont think anobody does) that is will beat anything out there, but they seem like great quads.

TC17
12-26-2002, 03:19 PM
my dad is checking out a 400EX tonight. the kid who has it is 15. he rode is VERY hard for 6 months. his dad bought him a Cannibal and he's now racing it. 3500. my dad said he'll probably get it. 02', red. no mods. the kid had everything on it. he sold them all so he's selling it cheep so he gets the money soon. he had a Duncan pipe and everything. my dad said he'll beat my lap times:rolleyes:. i want to see it. i'm going to ride it if he buys it. more on that later tonight.

muff
12-26-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by BoySetsFire
For a fisrt year quad, I think the Z is doing pretty well. Yeah the axles so bend but I think Suzuki is working on that now.Some people have has minor electrical problems with them too. Thats really all the bad stuff I've heard about them. I dont agree with DW (I dont think anobody does) that is will beat anything out there, but they seem like great quads.

yeah actually the newest models have strong axles because my friend just got a stronger stock replacement for his

if I had a choice between new z or ex I'd pick the z and just get an extended warrenty on it

muff
12-26-2002, 03:39 PM
oh I forgot to add that last weekend my friend stomped on his rear brakes and the thing that holds the rear brake caliper on snapped

QuadTrix6
12-26-2002, 03:44 PM
the Z has too many problems go with the 400ex, unless you wanna start spending money on axles and stuff, the Z is all hype IMO, its a nice quad don't get me wrong but everyone thinks its the best thing in the world, if you want relieable go with the 400ec you won't be disappointed...anyways thats real cool that your dad wants a quad so you guys can ride together i wish my dad would get one :rolleyes: ..good luck with it and always wear you helmets ;)

TC17
12-27-2002, 10:12 AM
we have decided. we looked at the used one and the kid must have beat the $hcitt out of it. the plastic was ruined and broken everywhere. the bearing and bushing were all worn out. he rolled it and flipped it on a big hillclimb. it was just trashed. he wanted 3800 for it. my dad told me he'd rather buy a new one for 4700 and get 300 free of accessories which he'd have to buy anyway. so he's getting a new one and only for 600 more. we'll be doing some night riding tonight:cool:.