PDA

View Full Version : 300ex carb

jdl_131
02-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, I've learned a lot over the last couple days since I found this site. Thanks for all the great help.

THE BACKGROUND:
I have a 1996 300ex and it was sitting in my parents garage (under cover but not enclosed, no water got on it but it was exposed to temperature and dust) for about a year. I recently bought a house and I picked it up from them last week. When I got it home it started and I just let it idle for about 20 minutes to make sure it was warmed up and all the fluids were moved around. It had a little gas in it but I had to add some...I didn't know then that gas could go bad. The fuel was turned off while in storage though.

THE PROBLEM:
After letting it warm up I tried to rev it up and it died. I restarted it and revved it real slow and I got to about 1/4 throttle before it started puttering and almost dying. I took the air hose off and looked in the carb, I could see a jet of fuel when I pressed the throttle down quickly. I replaced the spark plug and it did the same thing, start but not rev. Then it stopped starting...I could remove the plug, try to start and reinsert the plug and it would run for about 30 seconds and die. Could this be my carb has varnished? Wouldn't that stop it from running at all in the first place?

THE BIGGER PROBLEM:
I assumed it was the carb before I found this site so I took it apart...completely apart, I'm talking every screw except for the throttle stop. Some guys at work told me to soak all the metal parts in brake fluid for a day or two and then it should be good as new.
Does anybody have directions how to put the whole thing back together? I have to get new seals because I ripped one of them, should I buy the whole carb kit and replace the jets too?

bigwen
02-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Hey listen all you had to do was remove the jets and get some carb and choke cleaner and scrub with an old tooth brush and your problem would have been solved! but now you really need the carb kit because I do not think that you can buy just the rubber seal you can call a dealer and see I could be wrong but the problem you had is common when you let one sit up for a while the gas breaks down and stops up the jets when a little bottle of stabil would have prevented you from ever having any trouble at all :p

jdl_131
02-19-2009, 07:35 AM
:( I fully understand that what I did was...dumb. The problem is that I did it and now I gotta fix it. Honestly I'm not upset about it as long as I can get it back together and running, I've been wanting to take a carb apart for awhile now. Now that I've seen all the guts I have a lot better understanding of it, so it's not all bad. I wish I had drained the gas and ran the engine out of gas before I stored it...I think that would have been best.

I took lots of pictures when I took it apart and I'm going to take lots when I put it back together, maybe it will help somebody in the future to see how its done...albeit the wrong way somebody may accidentally do what I did.

I'm hoping somebody will know where I can find instructions on putting it all back together...hopefully some free instructions.

Black R/T
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
its really not hard, do a search online (google or something).

here you go, not the greatest but it gives you a schematic and tells you what the parts are.

http://216.37.204.203/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=87&B=14

jdl_131
02-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Can I use a silicone or some other type of sealant instead of buying a new seal? Are there any tricks, haha?