PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2009 Hatfield Trip Planning

chuckles
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
IM GETTING MY NEW KING QUAD 750 THIS WEEK AND WANTED TO JUDGE INTEREST IN MAKING ANOTHER HATFEILD MCCOY CAMPING TRIP. WE DID THIS A FEW TIMES WITH A LOT OF GUYS FROM THIS SITE A FEWS YEARS BACK AND IT WAS A BLAST (HAD LIKE 20 SOMETHING MEMBERS). ANYONE INTERESTED IN PUTTING ANOTHER TOGETHER? IM OPEN FOR ANY TRAILHEAD ALTHOUGH I LIKE WATERWAYS, ROCKHOUSE, AND BEAR WALLOW BEST.

Pappy
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Depending on the date, we would be down for another ride!

chuckles
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
HI PAPPY! HOWS MY SLOW RIDING BUDDY DOING!! DATES ARE OPEN...IM GOOD BOUT ANYTIME AS SOON AS ITS TOLERABLE TO STAY IN A TENT....OR WE CAN GET CABINS BUT THAT WOULD PROB TURN IN A DAMAGE DEPOSIT NIGHTMARE WITH THIS CREW!

Pappy
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Slow:confused:

Someone has to bring up the rear:o :D

Any weekend that there isnt a national race we should be good.

chuckles
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
K....WELL DONT WORRY IM GONNA HAVE 750cc's BUT IM STILL GONNA BE IN THE REAR. WHAT YOU RIDING NOW? STILL ON THE OLD HONDA?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-19-2009, 08:01 AM
We are trying to plan a trip to HM also this spring, we were told June is the best time to go. Ya that one isn't going to fly. The last time we were there was in april of 04 I believe. It was really wet lots of standing water but we still had a blast.

tflatt
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
we made the trip last year in june VERY!!! dusty weather was nice but dusty we were riding sport bikes 450's and such FYI maybe it helps

chuckles
02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
yea our trip was good too...... id rather be there when its dry so i dont gotta sleep in the rain but id rather ride in slop so i guess i dont get to have my cake and eat it too.

Pappy
02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by chuckles
K....WELL DONT WORRY IM GONNA HAVE 750cc's BUT IM STILL GONNA BE IN THE REAR. WHAT YOU RIDING NOW? STILL ON THE OLD HONDA?

I have a nice 2009 Polaris 850 sitting here:p Might have a new can am by spring...

chuckles
02-19-2009, 09:13 PM
can am.....thats nice i tried to find an can am 800 max so me and the wife could ride on one together but all the can amdealers in my area have gone out of buisiness.....guess ill just get a rack box for her so she can just ride on the suzuki.

chuckles
03-07-2009, 08:10 PM
well the KQ is here and after todays sweet weather im really itching to get to HM for some riding. Any more takers on a spring camping trip? Also is anyone game for a 1 day ride too? Id make the trip to any of the closer trail heads to Charleston WV for a day ride if anyone wants to go....

XANDADA
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
IM OPEN FOR ANY TRAILHEAD ALTHOUGH I LIKE WATERWAYS, ROCKHOUSE, AND BEAR WALLOW BEST.

Anybody found a good cabin to rent near those trailheads that house about 10-12 people? One that you can ride to one of the trailheads on quad is always a bonus. Thanks for any info...

trailhouseowner
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Browning Fork Trailhouse (http://www.browningforktrailhouse.com)

wgbanks
05-09-2009, 12:00 PM
The Dirt Days event starts on June 10 and is a great extended weekend. This will be our 4th Dirt Days event. John Twardy runs the site where the event is held and is a great guy and excellent host. You can check out more info at the Trails Heaven website. Here is a link that might be useful

http://www.trailsheaven.com/bbs/thread.aspx?thread=2366

660raptorman
05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey guys I have a question. Is HM sport bike friendly? In the pic I see alot of 4x4 quads. Also I hear they are suppose to be having the Quad fest up there in June.

KFX BRYAN
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by 660raptorman
Hey guys I have a question. Is HM sport bike friendly? In the pic I see alot of 4x4 quads. Also I hear they are suppose to be having the Quad fest up there in June.
All day long, just have all your skid plates or your bike will have low resale value for sure.

wgbanks
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
The trails are very sport quad friendly, even some of the "black trails". We have been riding sport quads there for many years and at age 49 I'll be at Dirt Days again in just a few weeks giving it heck on my Honda 450r.

660raptorman
05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
okay, just checking. Thinking about going up around June 12. I think they are having something like a Quad fest up there around then.

wgbanks
05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
From June 10th thru 14th they have the "Dirt Days" event. It has been a blast every year we have attended. Attendance prizes, poker runs, drag racing events, mudd pit and a quad give away. You can check it out at the "Trails Heaven" web site I linked in an earlier post. If you go come by and say hello, we'll be in the only red Hobbi toy hauler there most likely.

Bill

660raptorman
05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Okay, I think we will be comming up there round then. Trying to get a group of guy together now. We have been hanging out in Hazelton and Treventon.

chuckles
06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
my wife works next weekend so id love to come down for dirt days and camp. Anyone want to meet up at a camp ground or on the trails. Ill be bringing one buddy but its always more fun to camp and ride in larger groups.

screaminta
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey all, I will be also going to dirt days 2009 event. It will be my first time, going with 2 friends (one went last year). I will have my 250r, friends banshee, and a raptor 700r. We are meeting up with two can-am renegades also...hope to see some of you there!!!

wgbanks
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
My son and I will be there in bright red toy hauler. It looks like they re-opened most of the Rock House trail. The map last month show a big portion closed for blasting put the June 3rd update indicated only 10% was closed so it should be a good time. I'm not even going to look at the forecast cause the weather man changes his story every couple hours.

Motoman440
06-08-2009, 07:23 AM
my wife works next weekend so id love to come down for dirt days and camp. Anyone want to meet up at a camp ground or on the trails. Ill be bringing one buddy but its always more fun to camp and ride in larger groups.

You bringing the Taco man??

chuckles
06-18-2009, 07:25 AM
dude there is no way taco is gonna go. First he works out of town like constantly and secondly his 400ex is, and has been, in peices in the garage. been that way for like 2 years. I would love to set up a ride though anytime yall want. Email me at charleswatson79@aol.com to set something up.

michealwall
06-23-2009, 04:32 AM
My wife found a campground called Little Coal River, what are your thoughts about that area? We are taking your advise and skipping the beach. How much family stuff in that area. Are we able to ride to the other trails?

Thanks for any input, it looks like we will be going in mid august.

chuckles
06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
not sure about that campground. We stayed at one in logan. Motoman may remember the name. There are lots of trails to ride, lots of places to stay, and places to eat. Other than atv related activities the area is pretty much just your normal sleepy town. Not really sure its a good replacement for the family beach trip. I know it would be for me but thats me. My wife definitly wouldnt approve. LOL. If your whole family is big into ridiing and outdoors then it will be great. Let me know if i can help. You can always take trips to charleston or huntington for more food, shopping, and activiites such as movies and stuff if needed.

michealwall
06-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks a lot, I will keep in touch. I have to get the quads ready.

Motoman440
06-29-2009, 04:47 AM
not sure about that campground. We stayed at one in logan. Motoman may remember the name. There are lots of trails to ride, lots of places to stay, and places to eat. Other than atv related activities the area is pretty much just your normal sleepy town. Not really sure its a good replacement for the family beach trip. I know it would be for me but thats me. My wife definitly wouldnt approve. LOL. If your whole family is big into ridiing and outdoors then it will be great. Let me know if i can help. You can always take trips to charleston or huntington for more food, shopping, and activiites such as movies and stuff if needed.

We camped at Chief Logan State Park. They do have hiking, Mt. biking and a very nice pool for other family activities. Check out their website. Little Coal River is close to Charleston, aka "Waterways" my hometown HM system!!! LOL!!! Anyway, you will be about an hour away from the other trail heads in Logan and Man. I would recommend Chief Logan and you can still ride the Waterways system if you chose but you will be much closer to the other trail heads. The shower houses are not the nicest but if you are bringing a camper then that is not an issue. They do have full hook-up sites for campers. Waterways is very wet all the time and not much fun unless you want a rutted out wet ride. I still ride there when I can but it's so close to my house I just deal with the conditions. One nice thing about Waterways is right next to the trail head is a Water Slide Park that your kids may want to go to. Not to bad of a place. Good luck!!

michealwall
06-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Thanks motoman, I will check out Logan. We have 3 quads all 2 wheel drive, so a lot of water and mud would not be to fun. We like to get dirty but getting stuck every minute sucks.

Thanks guys

sunco
08-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Father & two boys wanta go. Friend said go to indian ridge or rockhouse. thats 8 hr trip from Jersey. We all have 450R's - gonna be worth a 3 day trip? Wanta leave this Sunday- be there for Monday riding & tuesday riding, head home wednesday. Just taking the flatbed. Also need a place w/ a cabin(wishing ) ( no tent & I'm not dragging the Toyhauler - to much stuff - traveling fast & lite.:devil:

michealwall
08-07-2009, 04:22 AM
We are leaving after work today, about 2:00. We are going to go to Little Coal River Campground to start. If that isn't what we like then we will head towards Logan. We will be there around 10:00 tonight and I will let you know if they have what you need.

sunco
08-07-2009, 05:33 AM
have fun. 8 hrs to indian ridge - rockhouse was told to me to be good to go. TTYL Travel under 80 MPH :devil:

sunco
08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
What a blast!
Stayed in Man @ the Holiday Inn (breakfast & the pool) 1st day we did the rockhouse trail. It started out wierd - we were the only ones there. So the 3 of us got started - had to keep stopping at the intersections to figure out which # we wanted to go on next. We have 450's hrc kits & pipes so @ one point I was concerned about fuel. No way we were takin a gas can w/ us. It rained the nite before so there were plenty of water holes. Got to gilbert in 4 hours - we tried to do as much of the trails before we got to gilbert. We wanted to take the most direct route on the way home- didn't want to get stuck out on the trails at nite. Took some pictures of the boys going thru mickey D's. Got gas & we used 1.2 - 1.4 gals of gas to get there. Guess I didn't have to worry about gas after all. It poured so we waited for 10 mins & left in the rain anyway. So that was fun. Then showers, dinner & the pool. The 2nd day we went to that trail @ the visitors center. What a great time. The big thing was on the 1st day we only saw 3 groups of riders & the 2nd day 1 group. I gotta say , I wouldn't want to be there when an event was going on - two way traffic really would suck. So many places you want to go fast & so many blind spots. We ripped around all over. It was neat to ride on the road. Why is everyone so uptight about riding quads on the road? Or for that matter in the woods.
(None of us here on the forums - just the rest of the world) Thanx for the memories WV :D

michealwall
08-23-2009, 05:49 PM
We got up into the Hatfield McCoy trails Pineville and quickly found out how tough mountain riding is for girls. They made it 3/4 of the way up the mountain and went back down. I rode for about 40 minutes by myself and started to feel uncomfortable. We packed up and drove back towards home. I'm looking to sell all of my bikes. If you know anyone interested post here.

"06" YFZ450 $3200
"06" raptor 350 $2300
"06" predator 90 $1100
"06" Cargo enclosed trail 12x6 $1500

sunco
08-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry to here that you didn't really have a good time. That trail by the visistors center might have been a good choice for your family, but I can understand your position. Good luck w/ selling eveything - I know that won't be fun. Got any thoughts for your next hobbie ?

michealwall
08-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Looking to buy a dual purpose bike, put tags and insurance on it and ride just about any place.

Taco
03-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Motoman440
You bringing the Taco man?? :scary:

Pappy
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Good lord he lives!