PDA

View Full Version : Registration in New Jersey

bakerboyz
12-24-2002, 08:40 AM
I bought a 300ex off a NewJersey guy on ebay. He gave me the Cert of origin which said the quad was origially sold in Iowa. I took this and an insurance card to the DMV and was refused. They said;

The cert of Origin was only good for the first buyer or if it was sold by a dealer. And, I will need a notorized bill of sale from the seller.

My question is has anyone issued or recieved a Notorized bill of sale, and what does it need to say. Can I sell the quad to my wife with a NBOS and have her register it. I assume the Cert of origin is useless.

Any help will be appreciated. I have this neighbor causing problems and don't want to get caught short.

Thanks

beechfront
12-24-2002, 02:41 PM
The bill of sale must come from the last owner, all it is is a piece of paper stating that you purchased the quad for a certain price with your name and address and the sellers info also and have it notorized.

bakerboyz
12-26-2002, 06:35 AM
That is kind of what they told me. But if the bike was never registered, how would the DMV know who the last owner was, It could have been anyone, so anyone can write out the bill of sale, right?

beechfront
12-26-2002, 01:25 PM
technically you are correct, give it a try.

jeepinjp
12-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Correct ........yes ...but what if it comes up stolen????

bakerboyz
12-27-2002, 07:25 AM
I have the certificate of origin but the if you read the back the certificate can only be transfered by a dealer.

deathman53
12-28-2002, 01:51 PM
actually in jersey you don't need a title to register atv's, since many states now don't issue titles. I was told by dmv that I could register my quad with notorizied bill of sale and insurance. The person I spoke to rode quads himself and he said they do this because they understand that many quads/trikes in the 80's never came with titles and most of them got lost by now. It might be alittle bit harder to convince the people at dmv, but that is what I was told.