PDA

View Full Version : problem with base gaskit

3x440ex
12-24-2002, 08:39 AM
Hey guys....i've have a question about head clearance. i just got my cylinder back and the guy said to use two base gaskits. so i did but now i have a leak at the bottom of the cylinder. i think there's a rip in one of the base gaskits. i plan on tearing it down this weekend and removing that gaskit. should i try to run just the one gaskit? I don't know why he has me running two gaskits unless they milled the cylinder too much.

RAPTORAZ
12-24-2002, 08:58 AM
I would call the "guy" that suggested you use two base gaskets and get his opinion on your perdicament.

Texan32
12-24-2002, 09:08 AM
I would ask him WHY he recommended two base gaskets. I have never heard of good thinhgs about double gasketing. You can do this. Install the jug with just 1 gasket. Tighten it down and check your clearance (you will need to have the head off). I don't know exactly what kind of clearance you need, but if the piston is anything less than flush with the cylinder, you should be ok. The head gasket is pretty thick.

3x440ex
12-24-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys....i whould call the guy but he's extreamly hard to get in touch with( i think he's on vacation)and i plan on tring to fix this thing on thursday so i can go riding with 3punksdad this weekend.:D