PDA

View Full Version : smoking from the case? HELP

400thacker
02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I just bought a 03 400ex and have posted a few pics if anyone has seen them. anyways, it smokes pretty good out the exhaust and I also see smoke coming out around the starter. has anyone aver had one smoke from there? I think that maybe it has blow by and there is a fume leak where the case splits. you cant see exactly where it is coming from.
my other question is, if i replace the rings and nothing else as long as the sleeve and piston isn't wore will that stop the smoking? if the engine doesn't have any blow by then it shouldn't smoke at all right?

I just need some imput on this, it's driving me crazz :grr:

thanks in advance

400thacker
02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
btw u have another head to try out if this one is toast. the smoke brom both places makes me believe it is mostly blow by but i am not 100% sure on that.

rob_990
02-18-2009, 03:05 PM
wouldnt you just have to get new gaskets.but since your in thier you mys well replace the piston rings too. i was gonna replace my rings a few weeks ago but then i took it apart and found out it was bored over.my honda shop wanted 45 bucks for some new rings!! i got the stock rings for like 10.so i just said eff that ill just make it a 416 in a couple months.

400thacker
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
i don't think it is worth it to split the cases if the rings will get rid of most of the blow by. you agree?

rob_990
02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
ohh.its leaking from the cases.i thought it was just a base gasket.thats a lot of work but you might have to do it if your gaskets leaking or cracked.

Can you tell if it is?

400thacker
02-18-2009, 03:16 PM
no not really. I am not for sure where it is coming from. base gasket isn't a big deal but i refuse to split the cases over a little smoke. it runs great.
think I can just use some 2 part epoxy to keep it from annoying me?

rob_990
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
it wouldnt hurt to try.

sc400ex_rider
02-19-2009, 05:39 AM
all engines will have some blowbye. the crankcase vent is right there where your talking about. make sure the hose from the vent and going to the little clear box by the air filter isnt loose or cracked. if you do the rings replace the valve seals with oem honda ones cause they last longer than the ones in the kits