PDA

View Full Version : installed diamond j kit and...

bigbad400
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
i installed the diamond j widening kit on my 400ex and wile i had it apart i did the front break pads, got all done with the install and took er for a spin and one of my breaks seems to be hanging up, nothing that i can see is wrong or out of order. got any ideas, it spins very stiff, and i only noticed because i rode out onto the snow and it hung up. what could be causing it to stick like that?

hypersnyper6947
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
not sure about the breaks but keep us updated on how you like the diamond J kit.

bigbad400
02-18-2009, 02:39 PM
i can say already that if weight is a factor dont get it, its like 8lbs but i love the way it looks and the way it rides compared to stock but ill have to get on it some more to let you know how it handles and all that, i ride woods mostly so im nervous about being 6 inches wider but it should be fine for were i ride. racers prolly wont like it but your average guy who cant afford a arms and shocks but wants to be wider a g force axle and a diamond j kit is great.

any input on the breaks would be appreciated. thanks

chevys&honda$
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
try taking the caliper off (the one thats hanging up) but leave the brake lines on and take a c-clamp and push the cylinder in about 1/8 inch and re-install. just did the brakes on my lt250r same thing happend

deathcorefan2
02-18-2009, 02:54 PM
lets see pics of it.

02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
I believe you just set sail for fail.

650ex
02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Info for the haning brake... if ur having one thats hanging up... uve got a piston sticking ( caliper piston ) in the caliper. What youll wanna do is take that brake caliper off, completely disassemble it, take compressed air and blow into the whole where the brake line bolts too and leave the bleeder screw in it... blow the piston all the way out of the caliper and inspect the two rubber seals inside the caliper where the piston rides.. if these appear fine... very very carefully remove them and inspect the grooves they seat in... if there is any signs of dirt .. clean this dirt out and make sure the grooves are completely cleaned out... now if u get the piston out and theres all kinds of residue on the piston itself... use some 0000 steel wool and clean/polish the piston so that theres no surface dirt/rust anywhere on the piston... most of the time u just get surface rust on the piston which cause the piston to hang up creating the sticking brakes... so just take some time and check that out.. its a pretty simple straight forward procedure...if u have any questions, pm me, ill get you some pictures...

Which 450?
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
did you take the master cylinder lid off before you pushed the brake cylinders back in?

bigbad400
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
what is the master cylinder lid? why do you want pics? its sat all winter its prolly just gunked up like the other guy said ill clean it out and see what kinda stuff i can find inside, ill also try pushing the cylinder in again althow i did that when i installed the break pads. thanks for the input.

ngates788
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bigbad400
what is the master cylinder lid? why do you want pics? its sat all winter its prolly just gunked up like the other guy said ill clean it out and see what kinda stuff i can find inside, ill also try pushing the cylinder in again althow i did that when i installed the break pads. thanks for the input.

i think he meant pics of the diamond j kit?

bigbad400
02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
right gatcha, and no pics yet, go to diamonjcostoms. com and look at the 400ex widening kit, mines +6 in ill get up pics when i can.

Which 450?
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
you need to remove the master cylinder lid, (what holds the brake fluid) when you push the cylinders back in. You could have pressure in the master cylinder locking the wheel up.

bigbad400
02-21-2009, 08:06 AM
i fixed the problem, i aparently didnt push that one back far enough befor but its clean now too and as far as the cap are you talking like push the cylinder out all the way and under that or are you talking that little plate that goes behind the pad on the plunger side? im lost as far as the cap.

400ftm
02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
He's talking about the one on your handlebars at the brake lever.

bigbad400
02-22-2009, 09:42 AM
oh cuz its pressurized, see break are not one of my things, or hydraulics at all for that matter, i get the principles of it but the rest is to figure out by error aparently.

Which 450?
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
oh cuz its pressurized, see break are not one of my things, or hydraulics at all for that matter, i get the principles of it but the rest is to figure out by error aparently.

lol :D

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 08:06 AM
i know i can really be slow about things that should make sence to a guy whos owned and worked on quads for 10 years or more, but never done breaks, at least not hydro breaks. anyhow this is the diamond j kit installed on mine if it work

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 08:09 AM
it keeps saying its too big but if i crop it anymore you wont see anything but the kit, ill look for the "how to" on posting pics and get back with ya on the diamond j kit

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 08:42 AM
try again resized

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
and another, got alot of snow in michigan if you cant tell! but its still fun to ride as long as you stay outa the deep stuff.

ThreeDollaBills
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
:S I don't like the looks of those things..

brian76708
02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
and another, got alot of snow in michigan if you cant tell! but its still fun to ride as long as you stay outa the deep stuff.

just noticed ur from Cadillac big rapids here

pitviperacing
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
How wide did the diamond J kit make it?? was thinkin of getting that set-up for flat track

400Trooper
02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I had the Diamond J kit on for 1 weekend ride. IMO don't waste your money. Save the cash up and get actual +2 or +3 a arms. I didn't like the bump steering, it was terrible! The steering geometry is definately different.

For flat track / TT you MIGHT be okay, again I wouldn't, JMO!

I actually have the set and would be willing to part with them for a reasonable offer!

Trooper

bigbad400
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by pitviperacing
How wide did the diamond J kit make it?? was thinkin of getting that set-up for flat track

i dont know outside width but center to center on the front tires is aprox 42" and i only know that because i had to set the toe.

i agree for a racer its not a good setup, its kinda heavy, and the geometry makes it handle funny for someone who needs the precision. but its great for what i do, dunes and wide woods trails.

hello to big rapids guy, were do you ride?

bigbad400
03-05-2009, 08:52 AM
im now first of 5 people in my riding group that has the kit, 4 others have placed orders to diamond j, z400, ds 650 cant find one, blaster, banshee and a polaris predator 500 all want the kit after riding mine and discovering that something so cheap improves ride quality that much.

hypersnyper6947
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
im now first of 5 people in my riding group that has the kit, 4 others have placed orders to diamond j, z400, ds 650 cant find one, blaster, banshee and a polaris predator 500 all want the kit after riding mine and discovering that something so cheap improves ride quality that much.

When you say improves ride quality do you mean its plusher or something, or in handles better, like in the corners and such?

bigbad400
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
doesnt really ride any smoother but i have yet to three wheel it in the hard corners or tip it up on its side two wheels, but thats what i was going for. i feel i can take corners that used to be 2nd wide open or slow 3rd is now 3rd wide open or slow 4th. i fell more solid when climbing hills at an angle, rear end doesnt give away as easily(thank you gforce axle) i like the way it bites in front without sliding the rear around as bad. (yes i do have good tires, brand new holeshot HDs in back and standard holeshots in front) lets just shorten this up and say it sticks to the ground alot better. (unless i goose it!!!!!)
i also noticed thant landing jumps is alot easier being that less movement in the air makes it flatten out, i dont have to put my weight in to it so hard now for some reason. it lands flat easier.

hypersnyper6947
03-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Well that sounds like it did a pretty good job, keep me updated on what you end up liking or not liking about it as you continue your testing. I ask b/c one of my friends is thinking of getting a kit for his raptor 350 and i want to get some feedback to relay to him.

Thanks

bigbad400
03-07-2009, 11:54 AM
does he race? its like 7-8lbs, a racer wouldnt want to add that much, i dont think a arms add but 1-2lbs. but so far i love it, but i ride woods and sand dunes. i dont like that it comes pc'd black or gray only. but you could do it yourself for cheap. i cant speak for a rapter but if hes just having fun, and wants to be a little more stabil and like then id say its perfect. i would definatly not extend it past your axle thow that would make handleing funny. i got the g force so it can be the same width but theres many other brands out there. good luck!

bigbad400
03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
i have had it now for about two weeks and rode quite a bit around my fields and woods at home but no good trails. small jumps. small hills and really no place to haul ***, but i can get to 4th good in some spots. just thaught id let you know that its not an ovenight, my quad handles good in the back yard thing, its 60 acres of fields and woods. i have put it to a decent amount of testing. but not really thoroughly abused it yet. i get like 5 foot off the ground if im realy goosing it on my good jump. i need a tractor!!!