PDA

View Full Version : hey just checking some quads

bazmaster03
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
hey just looking at some quads like a 400 ex and just wondering when i go to buy if there is some issues with the bike that I should look out for ...let me know plz:confused:

UNBROKEN
02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
subframes are prone to break under alot of stress when motor gets tired it will burn oil :eek: then just look for the basics how is the steering stem is there play? wheel bearings etc , any odd noisees , there is only so much u can do when buying a used quad without pulling things apart best advice, if the quad looks beat IT PROBALLY is

bazmaster03
02-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Thnx man i will look into that never even thought looking for a crack in the frame

rob_990
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
look at the air filter. if its really dirty it will show that the guy doesnt really care for his quad. go through all the gears and make sure it shifts smoothly.for the frame cracks look by the upper front shock mounts.this is the only place i have heard of them cracking.

good luck

DuwBra
02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
check moving parts to see if they are moving smoothly, check bearing and bushings.

racerdan24
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
If its all shiny like it was armor all'd to death be careful, person may be trying to make it look good when it really isnt...all of the above posts are a great start also.......a shiny tird is still as tird....

02-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by racerdan24
If its all shiny like it was armor all'd to death be careful, person may be trying to make it look good when it really isnt...all of the above posts are a great start also.......a shiny tird is still as tird....

not a rule though...mine is shin y right now...it gets shiny the very next day after i ride...

ThreeDollaBills
02-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Check the chain and sprockets... It's one of the easiest ways to tell if he's really cleaned it or not after every ride... If they are rusting then you know it was more than likely taken care of poorly. Push the subframe and move the quad from side to side to check the rear bearings you will be able to feel it shifting back and forth if they are bad. You can do the same with the front it's just a little harder to tell.

You can also spin the front rims to see if they are bent. Try to catch the guy at a bad time too so you can start it up while it's cold.

bazmaster03
02-19-2009, 10:55 AM
thnx guys this is really gonna be helpful :)

shok47
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
you should ask if he's ever taken out the swingarm bolt ;)

Mine came with full skids and could not see the bottom of the frame. I took the skid off and the frame under the motor had paint all chipped off and rust on its way.

Dathon Lawler
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
i'll tell you one that's looked over quite a bit. it's hard to see so feel for it. the rocker top breaks alot. not the whole thing but if your unfamiliar with the quad. i'll say it this way. top of the motor. bolt goes from one frame rail to the other with the rocker top in the middle. this is the top motor mount. breaking this is usually from a really bad wreck where the quad falls upside down. and i mean a fall. or from when the quad takes a good hit on the side about where your knee would be while riding. so a side hit or a top hit. and other things.... shake the rear grab bar side to side. you should look for the axle moving freely in the housing. if it wobbles. rear bearings for sure. hell take a jack stand with you and do the front by yourself. cuz its better to feel all this if the tires are off the ground. then you can just grab the tires and move it around. prop up the front end. give the tire a spin. listen for any grinding, any noises. or wobbling. move those tires around as well to see if there is any free play in the bearings. grinding.....you'll need new bearings. one more big one before i call this quits. just a little word for you about me. i bought a quad that i spent 3200 for about 4 years ago and i think i matched that in replacement parts. so i know most of everything to look for cuz i either inherited it bad, or made it bad. but that last thing. just look to see if the crank case has been jimmy rigged where the chain and sprocket are. bring a flashlight to really look. i'm sure your like man i ain't goin through all this in front of it's owner. but just think....if all this stuff i have talked about was discovered in front of him, and say he honestly didn't know about it (somehow) wouldn't he be more likely to come down on his price. and if you don't find any of these then you have more than likely found a good quad. other guys said alot as well so think with all the advice you better end up with a good quad or a good deal with some work cut out.

racerdan24
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
not a rule though...mine is shin y right now...it gets shiny the very next day after i ride...

I am the same way...but some people over do it just like when they trade a car in....They do the tires,seat ( Which is not smart )etc...etc

bazmaster03
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
hey thnx again and also when i buy a quad and it doesnt have performance exhaust .... id buy one but what is the quietest one you guys have heard of except stock but can still give me some better performance

thnx again

KevinAb
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Dathon Lawler
i'll tell you one that's looked over quite a bit. it's hard to see so feel for it. the rocker top breaks alot. not the whole thing but if your unfamiliar with the quad. i'll say it this way. top of the motor. bolt goes from one frame rail to the other with the rocker top in the middle. this is the top motor mount. breaking this is usually from a really bad wreck where the quad falls upside down. and i mean a fall. or from when the quad takes a good hit on the side about where your knee would be while riding. so a side hit or a top hit. and other things.... shake the rear grab bar side to side. you should look for the axle moving freely in the housing. if it wobbles. rear bearings for sure. hell take a jack stand with you and do the front by yourself. cuz its better to feel all this if the tires are off the ground. then you can just grab the tires and move it around. prop up the front end. give the tire a spin. listen for any grinding, any noises. or wobbling. move those tires around as well to see if there is any free play in the bearings. grinding.....you'll need new bearings. one more big one before i call this quits. just a little word for you about me. i bought a quad that i spent 3200 for about 4 years ago and i think i matched that in replacement parts. so i know most of everything to look for cuz i either inherited it bad, or made it bad. but that last thing. just look to see if the crank case has been jimmy rigged where the chain and sprocket are. bring a flashlight to really look. i'm sure your like man i ain't goin through all this in front of it's owner. but just think....if all this stuff i have talked about was discovered in front of him, and say he honestly didn't know about it (somehow) wouldn't he be more likely to come down on his price. and if you don't find any of these then you have more than likely found a good quad. other guys said alot as well so think with all the advice you better end up with a good quad or a good deal with some work cut out.

Excellent advice there. I had a Warrior that had that top motor mount broken, didn't find it for a while. It had a bunch of those other issues as well, but it was cheap and I knew why.

rob_990
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by bazmaster03
hey thnx again and also when i buy a quad and it doesnt have performance exhaust .... id buy one but what is the quietest one you guys have heard of except stock but can still give me some better performance

thnx again

HMF jk. probably the new lexx slip on.

racerdan24
02-20-2009, 08:26 PM
HMF