PDA

View Full Version : 05 400ex chain adjustment

Aztrx400
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the chain on an 05 400ex did not come with manual when I bought it used a while back.

alberto
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I just bought my wife an 05, I think the adjustment is done at the axle near the rear sprocket at the bearing carrier. I have an 01 and thats how I adjust that one. If you want tention you pull the adjuster toward the rear. If you want slack you push it forward toward the front. Be very careful because the adjuster is cast aluminum and break very easily. If fact I broke my 01 adjuster this last fall and Im in the process of changing out the bearing carrier. HOPE THIS HELP! GL :)

02-18-2009, 06:54 AM
i'll be a little more specific...

there are 4 bolts that take an allen wrench(in your tool kit if you have it, if not a 6 mm) loosen them...this allows the adjust that alberto was referring to to move. use the allen wrench in the slots just to the swingarm side of the rear sprocket. like he said toward you is tighter, forward is looser.

to get the correct tension, you should have rider weight on the bike and measure the chain slack at the mid point between the front and rear sprockets on the bottom of the chain.

02-18-2009, 06:56 AM
like this...